Meguiars Power System

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Red Orc, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Red Orc

Red Orc Birth of a Detailer

Meguiar's : DA Power System

I saw this at Walmart yesterday and I got it on a whim.

The plan was to buff out some minor swirl marks in my paint but.....

.......To say I am disappointed would be a real understatement.
    I saw a lot of reviews saying that it was a great product but I have to disagree.

I used a yellow polishing pad and Meguiars Ultimate polish and I could not see or feel the slightest difference in my paint after I used it.
    I even tried some old Menzerna Final Polish II and the results were the same.

I used it with a Ryobi 18V cordless drill & a lithium battery.
    Before you dismiss this drill let me tell you -
    I have drilled (large) holes in a tree trunk with this drill.
    I have drilled holes in a steel post with this drill so it's not completely worthless.

Maybe I would[/I] have gotten better results with a high amperage corded drill but I don't have one and I'm not gonna go buy one just to see.

I suppose I could have tried the red pads & Ultimate compound but I think at this point I'll just take it back to the store & get my money back.

2. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Well, at least its been tried an tested so others will know.

3. Red Orc

What I would like to know is how it got so many good reviews everywhere else?
    I really don't see how a drill that can put holes in steel post could be that under-powered.

And as far as I know Mitsubishi isn't one of the companies using that super hard paint/clear coat so that isn't the problem.

And the finger you use to hold in the trigger on the drill gets VERY tired VERY quickly!

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

maybe try a corded drill? I saw this the other day as well, sort of raised an eyebrow. I doubt Megs would put time and money into a product that was sub par.

But it does not make sense really.......are you able to return it?

5. Red Orc

Yeah I got it from Walmart so I can definitely return it.
    I couldn't understand either why Meguiars would put their name on something that was so useless.

All I have is the cordless drill.
    I really don't want to buy a corded drill just to use with this thing.
    If I'm gonna spend any more money it would make more sense to put that towards a real DA buffer in my opinion.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Get a Porter Cable or Griots at the very least.

7. Red Orc

8. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

I personally wouldn't get those PC kits you mentioned, besides the PC, they don't come with anything I would ever use. Buy a PC or a GG6 and then select your pads and polish/compound separately. The problem with those kits is that they come with CCS pads which aren't very good, and the AG house brand products, which aren't very good either.

9. Kilo6_one

I concur, get uber pads, I have been using them for years trouble free.
    Also get a griots polisher, I think its a better polisher and has more torque and is not as "loud"

Hit up phil, tell him your needs and he can build you a great package, plus as you probably know his service is second to none.

10. Red Orc

Is the backing plate that comes with the Griot's Garage good or should I plan on replacing it?
    If so what with?

11. Red Orc

Who sells the Uber pads?

Never mind found them at Detailer's Domain

12. Kilo6_one

I am running it, no issues at all. I use Uber and Optimum and Megs Microfiber cutting pads with FG400, its a great combo.