Meguiar's MF Pad Tips/Advice

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Peacemaker, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Two Bucket System Washer

Hey guys,

Per Phill's suggestion, I went with Megs MF cutting pads, 1x green uber pad, and Menzerna FG400. This was paired with a GG 6". Did the detail yesterday, took a long time. This is only my second time using the DA, so I'm still learning.

I realized half way in that the pad wasn't rotating when I applied pressure. From reading through various articles and resources, I knew that I had to use pressure + slow speed to achieve higher cuts with the MF pad. After doing a test panel before starting, I knew that the pressure I started out with wasn't doing enough correction. So I began using more pressure.

I researched the pad not rotating and found that I have to ease up on pressure or increase speed to remedy this. I had the DA on 3.75/4 and I didn't have much luck with the pad rotating.

For those who have used this system before, do you have any advice for the next time I attempt to compound?

Thanks.

2. belair

belair Birth of a Detailer

Make sure the pad is flat against the paint. It took concentration to do that when I first started.

3. Peacemaker

Thanks, I definitely tried to take note of that when thinking about my form/technique when applying pressure and holding the orbital. What about it not spinning? I was under the impression slower speeds (4800rpm or less) for the mf pads.

4. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Your speed should be at 4-5 thats what use when using micro fiber pads.

5. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

Speed 4 and light to moderate pressure is all you need with MF pads along with slow arm movement, let the compound and pad do the work.

6. Peacemaker

How fast should the pad be rotating on the DA?

7. RZJZA80

You shouldn't be pushing down hard enough to hinder the rotation, then it just "wiggles". Take a sharpie and mark a line on one side of your backing plate, that way you can see if it's rotating or just wiggling.

8. Peacemaker

Hm... it honestly didn't feel like I was pressing firm enough when it was rotating. You're right, it was just wiggling. Newbie mistake of mine. I will not repeat that again. I suppose it will have to wait until my Spring detail. I don't want to spend another 9 hours doing it over!

9. RZJZA80

Keep in mind that MF pads are so thin compared to most foam pads, it's easy to over estimate the amount of pressure being applied. However, with a GG6, it's not that easy to bog it down either.

10. Peacemaker

I feel like if I should have used speed 5 to get the right speed with pressure I was using. Do you have any suggestions for technique on the lower portion of the car? I was on my knees trying to stay as close to the car as possible, but its very easy to break form and kind of cheat.

11. RZJZA80

Stick with speed 4 and use slow arm movement. The lower portions of any car, even the vertical polishing can be more difficult, but just practice and get into a position that's comfortable for you, some people sit down, or even lay down, there's really no wrong way to do it as long as the results are what you want.

12. Peacemaker

I should put my car on jack stands next time. My car is very low to the ground, makes it hard. Are there any negatives to using/holding the buffer sideways while moving vertical? I assume not, but it was hard for me to keep moving in a straight vertical line while holding constant flat pressure.

13. RZJZA80

There's no right or wrong way to hold a polisher as long as it enables you to keep the pad flat and in complete control of it's movement.