Meguiars Meets Wool Pads

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Dave KG, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

Following on from this thread: http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f12/markv-meets-wool-pads-2798.html.

We now try some Meguiars products on wool pads to remove severe paintwork defects.

The panel before hand this time, swirled up with wire wool and scracthed with a key...

[​IMG]

In daylight, you can clearly see the paint damage and a complete lack of gloss on the finish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it was the turn of Meguiars #84 Compound Power Cleaner on a wool pad. Picked up at 600rpm and then spread around at 600rpm to give a nice even covering of the polish. Seemed oiler than MarkV and spread a little easier because of this.

Now time to turn up the wick! 1500rpm to start with for three or four passes and you couldn visibly see the paintwork gloss returning as the swilrs were readicated... Polish remained oily.

Then it was up to 2000rpm for three or four passes with medium pressure and after this all but the deeper marks were removed. #84 cuts very hard and fast on wool, I would personally recommend stopping after every few passes to measure the thickness of the paintwork to ensure you are still within reasonable limits!

To get at the deeper marks, up went the speed again to 2500rpm, the panel remaining cool and the remaining defects could be seen to be reduced with each pass, keep going until they were no longer visible and then shut down the machine. As before, with the marks removed, the compound has done its work and there is no need to continue as trying to finish the compound down is simply a waste of paint! #84 could have cut for longer and worked for longer at this stage but as it had doen its work, it was time to stop and switch to a finessing combo.

The results after wool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Light hologramming left, as you would expect, but the gloss restored to the finish and the damage removed... All that needs done now is refining. #84 label recommends following with #83, which in the circumstance seems a little more than is needed ultimately, but just to show the capabilities, this is what I went with.

#83, W8006 Polishing pad spread at 600rpm. The worked for a couple of passes at 1200rpm, then around twelve to fifteen passes at 1800rpm until the residue went clear, and then vanished and the polish started to show evidence of dusting. Then a couple of refining passes at 1200rpm before shutting down the machine and evaluating the resulting finish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is often said that #83 should be followed by #80 to further refine, but on most paits I personally feel that this simply is not necessary iof the #83 has been worked correctly. But just to see if any extra was given by #80, we then used #80 on a W8006 polishing pad, spread at 600rpm, then a couple of passes at 1200rpm, worked at 1800rpm for ten or so passes until the residue vanished, and then reinfed for a couple of passes at 1200rpm. The end results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for fun, this was then sealed in with NXT Tech Wax 2.0 (more detailed review of this from me to follow), but in this small test it wa clear of this product's ability to slightly deepen the paint colour and if it lasts longer as it is promised too, this is going to be a cracking good product from Meguiars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*** Again, please note that the use of a wool pad is a very last resort and is very strong cutting. Please regularly check the thickness and take great care in the pad use as strike through can happen much quicker than you think with wool!

2. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

very helpful review here dave. was that panel clearcoated or not? what kind of wool were you using? how fast do you move the rotary with such combo?

3. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

The panel was (still is! :) ) clearcoated.

The wool being used there was the wool pad which came with the Makita 9227CB - its been a trust wool pad, lasted a winter's worth of testing, now I am happy with the correction and that my techniue is coming on, I'll be investing in a few wool pads and learning more and more the technique this year... will be implmenting it to my detailing properly end of this year or 2009 as I like to test things to absolute destruction before I will use it properly, and the testing takes me a lot of time :)

Move the rotary between 2 and 4" per second... Heat isn't an issue, but very aggressive cut is so if the machine stays still yuo will quickly cut down through your clear (as opposed to building heat and burning with a foam pad).

4. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

thanks dave.. very helpful. looking forward to more reviews.