Meguiars APC & Super Degreaser

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by galaxy, Jul 17, 2010.

1. galaxy

galaxy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thought, opinions, feedback, ect on these two products and best uses?

I amcurrently usin Simple Green as my primary (and basically only) tire cleaner and general degreaser for engines, wheelwels, etc. I started using this because it was the only product I could find for normal, everyday tirewashing that wouldn't spot or eat up my super sensitive wheels. Then that just grew into using it for everything else.

Recently just been in the mood to try something different and auto detail specific. Plus, these are just as cheap as SG.

Do you guys use these? If so what for? How are they at lifting brake dust? And also very concerned about dilution ratios...I understand the degreaser is pretty strong and wouldn't want to Jack up my wheels or anything. I had been using SG full strength for the most part with great results...especially tires and engines.

Thanks for any tips guys!!!!

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I've used Meg's APC (Green) at about 2:1 on tires and it worked really well.

3. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Meg's APC and Super Degreaser are very strong, high-alkaline cleaners. Both products can be used on tires, but neither should be used on wheels.

A Meguiar's rep hinted to me that APC and APC+ could be used to clean factory coated wheels at 10:1, but to keep dwell time to a minimum and to stick strictly to the 10:1 ratio.

4. metsfan

metsfan Birth of a Detailer

i use both . sd is strong stuff . i use on tires at 4:1 and the dirt just jumps of like a2z . apc+ is like half the strenth .

5. galaxy

Am I the only dork running around here that really like SG??

Wondering if I should just stick with what works...full strength and never had it spot a wheel or mess with anything.

I saw the APC+ but read quite a bit about it having a much less foaming charasterisric than just APC. I thought a higher sudsinf action would be better for my needs since I'm shopping for a tire cleaner to use by brush and water while washing.

6. kb2ehj

kb2ehj Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The suds are not doing anything for you. tt's the chemicals/agitation that us doing the cleaning for you. (Between all the detailing sites there is lot's of posts on this subject)

I've used SG for the inside of my vehicle(Honda Element) but nothing else.

For wheels I've started using Chemical Guy's Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner.

I wouldn't call this stuff a gel my any means but it does clean wheels real well. A gallon makes 5 gallons of working product.

7. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I wanted to type this up but I got lazy.

Simple Green is an excellent APC. pH of only 9.5 and I contacted the company about automotive use and they said it can be used 4:1 and sprayed on the paint to get bugs off before washing (but it will strip wax). They also said I could add 4 ounces per gallon of water in my wash bucket and use it as a car wash, but I think that will strip wax as well...probably a good idea for prepping a car for polishing, though. These directions apply the original formula of Simple Green, none of the Heavy Duty or Degreaser formulas, those are much more powerful.

APC and APC+ are essentially the same. APC+ was formulated to be low-foaming to use with carpet extractors (where you don't want any foam because it floods the machine). But I still get good short-lasting foam out of APC+ through a foaming sprayer as I like to use it to clean wheel wells.

8. galaxy

When looking at dillution ratios, it's water:product, correct?

9. impakt

impakt DB Forum Supporter

The higher number is water, usually.