1. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

So far Ive used PB SSR's, XMT, Optimum, and Menzerna polishes. By far my favorite is Menzerna. But Toto always uses Meguairs #83 and it makes me interested in trying it. For those that have used it, Id like to know how it compares to Menzerna, specifically SIP and 106FF.

It sounds like a mild- moderate swirl remover. How dependent on weather is it? How much does it dust? Does it contain any fillers? What is the working time like?

2. Nica

Nica Banned

I've used it only once and it's a very good product. It's not temperature/weather dependent, never lets you down. It's a solid product and I can understand why Master Toto uses it. As far as I could see it does not contain any fillers, but don't quote me on that. Sneek is a big Meg's guy, I hope he provides some input here. But does it dust, you bet it does. If you use it you will have no choice but to wash the vehicle again. The first and only time I used it I couldn't beleave the dust, then when I used Menzerna (which does dust) it wasent as bad as Menzerna. I still have my bottle of #83 but only use it if my Menzerna is acting up. So far Menzerna has always delivered for me. Working time, I found it to be like Menzerna...but that's just me.

3. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

I was doing the saab with 106FF and white pad yesterday. But hey, it diden`t dust...And that was JUST 106FF on the pad. I think it can be because I sprayed a bit water on the pad before I started. No dust.

4. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

:p I love Meguiar's hahaha.

Meguiar's #83 is a really solid product. It tents to dust if it is very hot outside of if you use it on a cutting pad. I am not sure, either way, it is a product that you have to learn how to use. Once you learn how to use it, it rewards you like pretty much no other polish. The product works really really well on a polishing pad as well. It has great cut, but also fantastic finishing ability. Are you using it by PC or Rotary? Another similar product with great cut is Meguair's #2 (new formula). It has a tad less cut, but it doesn't get gummy like #83 if the surface is dirty or waxed. I prefer claying a car first anyways, but if you don't want to then you should use #2. Meguiar's says M83 has a cut of 6/10 and M02 a cut of 5/10. I think that they are pretty similar. I think that M83 is harder to use, but yields a better finish. M02 is easy to use, but it doesn't give the paint that rich clarity and glowing shine and gloss.

Heres a tip from a long time user of #83. If you are getting dusting you can add a little bit of OP and all the dusting stops. According to Meguiar's you are using it wrong if you get dusting, but hey...we don't all live in a temp. controlled body shop. I find that OP doesn't take away from the cut or finishing ability, but it doesn't really add anything. One complaint I have about M8332 is that you have to make sure that you clear the polish from the spout before flipping it down, or you will have to use tooth picks to get the dried polish out (this sucks, you waste polish and it is kind of messy). If you don't like it, I think that there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee IIRC. When a company can stand behind their products like that, what more can you ask for. ;) there is a reason why I have quite a few bottles of this in my collection

5. D&D Auto Detailing

Ive got both a PC and rotary. So being able to use it on both would be nice. I work in my garage which has AC, no heat though. But I dont think Ill be doing much winter time detailing anyways. My back up polish right now is Optimum, but I dont really like it at all. I feel it has too many lubricants in it. I always wash the car after polishing, unless Im just using 106, then I dont need to.

How does the finish compare to 106?

6. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I don't know if I can answer that one. I have only played with 106 once :p. I do believe Nica will have to chime in one this. I am a 1Z user, so I don't really need to use Menzerna for anything really. I think it is a really good line up to try out if you get a chance.

I think Optimum is alright. I partially agree with you that it has too many lubricants, but I think that it is nice with #83 because in hot temps it really helps with the dusting. It can get pretty dusty if it isnt perfect. I think once you learn how to use it properly/ get used to it, you will love it. I needs to be worked in really well to break it down to a fine finishing polish. I do quite a few passes even on the Rotary. Push down with enough pressure to have the top of the backing plate level with the "mushroom" of the pad for about 2-4 passes, then lighten up on the pressure and do slightly faster passes. I usually have the rotary at 1500, but sometimes a bit higher and sometimes a bit lower. Afterwards I like to drop down the speed to as low as the rotary goes and just do a few more pass. :D Enjoy the mirror finish! Most of the people that don't like #83 just don't know how to use it. I guess it is a love it or hate it product.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Well 106 in my opinion is hard to beat becuase it's very diversifull. With 106 you can do many things, finish LSP, do some serious correction (depending on clear coat) and best of all dusting is very low.

#83 is good but to be honest I haven't found anything that can beat Menzerna, I've got something coming from the UK that supposedly rivals Menzerna. Looking forward on receiving it.

8. D&D Auto Detailing

Yeah, I love 106FF. But I also want a good back up. I thought Optimum would be it, but it isnt.

9. SpoiledMan

SpoiledMan Birth of a Detailer

*I* found #83 to be very temperature/weather sensitive. At times it acts like glue. It's happened in both hot and cold. Getting the dried product off also tends to reintroduce marring to the polished surface.

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Really that's interesting, I've never used #83 but I was under the impression that it would not act up or be affected by temperature like Menzerna..mmm..interesting.

11. D&D Auto Detailing

Same, thats the reason I got it! Oh well.

12. Nica

Nica Banned

I'd say give it a go who knows it could work out for you.

13. D&D Auto Detailing

I probably wont even touch it unless Menzerna is giving me problems that day.

14. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I would go with 3M before i went with Megs.

15. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: 3M make a great alternative :thumb:

16. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

looks like even scholls would do also.

17. D&D Auto Detailing

Thanks genius.

18. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

ya Megs + sun = no fun. Not going to lie.

I mix it with optimum when I use it in the sun.

19. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Your welcome Dan, I am here to help you out anytime.

20. SpoiledMan

SpoiledMan Birth of a Detailer

Please keep in mind that that was *my* experience and that yours may vary. :)