Meguiar's #40 Questions

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by v|nsan|ty, Apr 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

So I did a search but couldn't find much of anything on this topic.

I have Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner #40 and used it last summer on the interior/exterior. I found the product to be a bit streaky. My process was to clean the interior with a damp MF, wait for it to dry, spray some M40 on a clean MF, and apply to surfaces. This led to a streaky finish. I would wipe it after with a clean MF to see if it was residue but it remained the same. Is there a different approach I can take that will yield different results?

I found for exterior trim it didn't revitalize color as much as I had hoped. What other applications do people use for this product? I have 2 nearly full bottles of this stuff so I would like to put it to use. I'll be getting 303 Aerospace Protectant to use as an alternative, possibly Black Wow for exterior. Thanks.

2. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Use a diluted APC or Meg #39 first to clean the area, I prefer to use a foam applicator, spray one spray onto the applicator and apply to the area. work it in well then wait approx 10 minutes go back with a micofiber towel and buff the area. I personally never used #40 on the exterior only interior. I like the product but find myself reaching for Danase Nu Look or FK 108 more

3. v|nsan|ty

Thanks sal. I'll try cleaning it with OPT PC diluted 4:1 beforehand and apply the M40 using a yellow foam applicator instead. Hopefully that solves the streaking.

Does anyone know what the difference is between M40 and 303 in terms of UV protection? Is 303 significantly better?

4. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

303 will def revitalize exterior trim. I use it non stop for wheel wells. Just have to make sure you buff off the product after application. That will eliminate the streaking.

5. Troy Fuller

Troy Fuller Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Are you shaking the bottle before application. Alot of times streaking occurs when the product isn't mixed sufficiently.

6. v|nsan|ty

Yeah I shake that bottle for a good 10-15 seconds before spraying. If it still streaks, it look like I'll just use it to revitalize wheel wells. Once I'm done with it, I'll use CG Bare Bones.

7. Troy Fuller

Troy Fuller Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Ok. Are you applying it to a cool surface, meaning out of the sun? That could cause it to streak because of it causing a "flashing" effect kinda like window cleaner flashing on a hot window.

8. v|nsan|ty

Yeah I applied it when my car was in the garage. Surfaces were cool to the touch. Temperatures weren't overly humid. It was last summer and it was around 20 degrees Celsisus.

9. Derek37

Derek37 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I use #40 on tires only. Seems to last quite awhile and being a conditioner I believe it helps the rubber as well. 303 on interior.

10. Jesstzn

Jesstzn Virgin Detailer

303 isn't significantly better than M40 ... matter of fact the UV protection is more in the reflective value and the resin content ... so once its lost its shine the UV protection is diminished.

The only streaking I occasionally get with M40 is over the pass side air bag if I don't apply it evenly. I actually prefer it over 303 for the interior of my TL.

11. v|nsan|ty

Thanks Jesstzn. Looks like I can be more hopeful with my 2 bottles of M40.