Meguiars 3" Microfiber on DA

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by luke093, Aug 5, 2011.

1. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Haven't heard a lot about the use of the TINY pads but I know for a fact that the 5" system, the pads are not 5" (actually 5.5" I measured), so the 3" system using an assumed 0.25" gap on each end, should be 3.5" in diameter? Is there anyone here that has them and could measure for me? I would like to know if I need to buy a new BP in this case.

Other than the size, how do they function on the DA on round surfaces? Overall, I like the 5" system using HD Uno and it gave desirable results for me. Would appreciate any feedback.

Meguiars Online: I read 3.37", although I would like someone to check.

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Like you said. Their sizing system is whacky.

I can tell you after trying out 4" Ubers on my PC it was a bit difficult to control. The wider the pad the more stable and easier to control a DA (because the way it oscilates).

With the 4" I had to hold the machine tightly.

3. luke093

Yep I do have a high selection of 4" and 5.5" pads. I too had an issue with control on the 4" ones but seeing that I don't use them that often it doesn't bother me, just looking to get MF type correction on even tighter areas as well.

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Oh. I didn't catch that these are MF. In fact I didn't know they made them in the "3" inch size. Have they just been released?

5. luke093

Haha, nope! Released at launch actually. The small size on a DA would come in handy though but I can't find the true size of the pads themselves.

6. luke093

Update: From pics on AGO, an LC BP will fit them right to the edge with a smidge exposed. Its stated as 3.5" but its not, its 85mm which turns out to be 3 5/16" and that's the size of the 3" pad itself. Who knew that 3.5" and 3" really meant somewhere in between...

Officially a must buy now! ;)

7. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I want to try this meguiar microfiber system too, but I don't have an airgun to clean the pads.

8. Innovative

Innovative Virgin Detailer

In my arsenal of pads, I carry several of the Meguair's MF size pads so I have a variety to choose from depending on the job. I detailed a HD Road King yesterday using the Megs 3" MF pads both cutting and finishing pad utilizing a Metabo 3" D/A with a fixed BP that is the perfect size for the pad. Products used were D300>D301

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After results

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. vasaline

vasaline Two Bucket System Washer

The 3 inch pads i found it difficult to control. I felt like it was running all over the paint. But the Microfiber System is nice. Corrects pretty well.