Meguiar's #26 Long Term Test

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by boogiejoe, Apr 4, 2008.

1. boogiejoe

boogiejoe Any Rag Vehicle Washer

This is a long term test of Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. It was applied to a Ford Escape, which is a daily driver. The paint has some imperfections, which will hopefully simulate realistic conditions. The test was started 3/3/2008.​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - Applying the paint cleaner
    I used Meguiar's Medallion Paint Cleaner on the surface to get the paint ready for the wax. I've had the MMPC around for some time, and like using it. It is quite oily, but seems to work well. As demonstrated here along with a UDM, it's so easy a 5 year old can do it. Please don't misconstrue this as child labor. He has signed all the required paperwork and is on contract until 2009. ​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - Finishing up with the paint cleaner The vehicle was washed using DP Extreme and softened water. The MMPC was applied using the UDM on speed 1 with a LC variable contour black finishing pad. Temps were around 50 degrees outside. ​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - Close Up Clarity Test - No Wax Applied The paint came up pretty clear after the MMPC was applied. There is a slight blur to the print on the UPC tag which is noticeable in the larger pic. The camera was on a tripod, hopefully eliminating any chance of operator induced picture blur. ​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - Distance Clarity Test - No Wax Applied The orange peel is quite noticeable on the images. Nice reflection, but it could be clearer. ​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - Close Up Clarity Test - Wax Applied The reflection is much clearer after the wax was applied. The orange peel is less noticeable, leading me to think the wax does a decent amount of filling. It must be those secret oils. ​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - Distance Clarity Test - Wax Applied The reflection comes up a little clearer on this reflection shot. Yes, I still have an old wooden ladder in my garage. It shakes and wobbles when I use it. ​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - Opinions I thought the wax looked fantastic after it was applied. It has a nice gloss and gives a very wet shine. It looks much better than the 3M Wax I tested earlier. The wax has a nice smell of strawberry-banana and looks like banana pudding according to my 5 year old.
    I thought it was not the easiest wax I've ever used, but it wasn't impossible. It reminded me of suntan lotion. I felt that I either had too much or too little. ​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - Opinions cont. I could never tell if I had the right amount, so I applied 2 coats just to be sure. After the wax hazed, it was very easy to wipe off. There were no issues with staining trim or any other nonsense. The wax cost me $13 which isn't too bad for how well it looks. I'm guessing though, that the bottle will empty quite soon because of its durability. ​

[​IMG]

April 3, 2008 - After Shot The car looks good afterwards, unfortunately it is still an Escape. We will be having a pool to see how long the wax lasts, and the winner gets the bottle with the remaining wax sent to them for free! That's almost comparable to a date with Paris Hilton and a camcorder.​

[​IMG]
    *Must be 18 to enter. Many will enter, few will win. Odds are, you'll have fun. Please gamble responsibly.

Thanks for following along!​

2. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

I've used #26 for years on dark reds and blacks with great results. Thanks for doing a durablilty test!

3. boogiejoe

boogiejoe Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The car was just washed and the beading seems to be inconsistent. I don't know if this is becasue of the sheeting, possible uneven application, or the wax is slowing down. There appears to be no difference in slickness, but I don't have a scientific measurement defined yet.​

[​IMG]

Another angle of the beading. The upper left portion of the hood seems to behave differently than the rest of the car.​

[​IMG]

The beads still seem small and tight on average. The car was very easy to clean and felt very slick.​

[​IMG]

Things are still looking good. It's been 20 days so far.​

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more updates!​

4. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

Thanks again this is a good one to test with all the attention sealants have taken away from waxes