Megs Soft Buff Cutting pad (Burgandy one)

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by reefer_bob, Apr 19, 2009.

1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Man this pad is just what I've been missing.

For the record, I dislike the LC Orange pad, or any other euro orange pad, including the one from DD. It's just too damned stiff and hard.

I've been doing a lot of extra work on Green Pads cause I didn't have another option.

I recently bought one of these burgandy Megs Soft Buff cutting pad recently, and man it's awesome.

It's a little softer than the orange which is perfect. It's got a good bit of cut yet is forgiving unlike the orange pad.

Great product, I'll be buying a couple more! :)

2. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: I agree these pads are great best part they have a reasonable cut to them partnered up with the appropriate polish :thumb:

All three Meg's pads are worth having, they make for great back up's :thumb:

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Damn, I'll have to get a set then, hehe.

4. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

I need these pads! I am tired of the 'hard as a rock' orange LC/DD pads...ADS here I come! :)

5. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

The only downfall is the 7" size, which is the only reason I haven't/won't buy them :shrug:

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Why is this a downfall? There is nothing wrong with a 7 inch pad.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree, you just have to get used to them that's all :shrug:

8. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I got a chance to use this pad this past weekend. For practice purposes I was using a late-model Mustang hood from a body shop. In addition to some wetsanding and compounding/polishnig techniques, I figured that I would try to "burn" the paint just to experience it in "real world application". Using the Makita, Meg's burgandy pad and I believe some M105 (newer formula) and up to speed 6.... I was NOT able to burn the surface. There was some smoking.... I WAS putting some effort into it, definitely much more than would have been used on a customer's car or my own.

- paint surface became very hot, spritzed H20 & ONR solition on it to cool, and some of it was sizzling
    - no visible damage to the paint
    - the pad did not fall apart either

BOTTOM LINE:

I will be adding these to my pad lineup to complement the burgandy & yellow wool I already have.

9. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

looks like i'll be adding a few of these to the collection, I think the 7006 pad is 6.5", and the new soft buff 2.0 are the 7", couldn't imagine it would make that big of a difference.

10. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

question for all that have this pad and use it. What is your real world application for this pad? I currently have some 8006 and 9006 pads, and the 8006 pads work great for the paint correction that I have been working with, when have you found that you needed to step it up to the 7006. What products would you use with that pad?

11. d00t

I prefer not using anything larger than 6.5" because of control and also size. You can't get a 7" pad in to bumpers/trunk areas.. and then it messes the flow of paint correction going from a megs 7" pad to a 3M 3" pad.. you have to find a new combo JUST for that section..adds a lot more time in the end.

I use so1o wool pads.. I'm used to them, but I PREFER not to have them. Especially if I can have a pad that's just as good but in varied sizes :shrug:

12. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

I have one of the SB 2.0 pads in polishing and the Solo Finishing Pad.
    No prior Meguiar pads. The velco is sligtly coming away from both of them....
    but other than that....they are nice pads.

If I recall, and I may be wrong, AB makes the pads for Meguiars

13. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

BTW, I don't anything heaving in foam than a white pad (LC). If I need to go heavier, I'm matching up the polish to a PFW. To each it's own, but my cars are mainted fairly well so I don't really have the need to go anything agressive in my stash

14. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I do agree that the orange pads that I have in my collection are terribly hard. To the point where I dread using them...

15. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

It's always been a problem with me. I'll crank up my polish on a green pad to avoid using the orange, or prolish the same area twice with say SIP/Green.

Now with a softer heavy polish pad, I find my work to go much quicker and easier. A single works much better.

16. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

That doesn't make any sense either, I guess it just comes down to skill level.

17. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I've come to hate orange pads, especially over 5.5". If M105 and a white Kompressor pad won't do it, I guess it's PFW time. I sold my "test car" this weekend so I'm going to have to be a lot more careful and choose my combo wisely for my new car.

But instead of me picking up cutting foams, like the Meg's 2.0 SB Burgundy, I'm just gonna invest in some M-S TufBuf lambswool pads. I've read they do well with PO203S. Plus, my experience with PFW on the 3401 was just so smooth, I can only imagine how nice it is with a rotary.

18. d00t

Uh, thanks, but I'm pretty skilled. It's personal preference. How does that not makes sense to you? :doh:

19. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Actually it does come down to skill level. What doesn't make sense on how you say you have to figure out a new plan of attack, it takes you that long to figure something out now I see were that skill level you say you have comes into play.:devil:

20. d00t

I'm just saying, TIME WISE, it makes more sense to stick with a pad combo that worked on previous panels.. whether it's 3M UK.. LC.. whatever. If I have different sizes in pads than just one, it makes life easier. Didn't think my "lack" of skill had anything to do with not wanting to use 7" pads :poke: