Tags:
  1. hades02

hades02 Virgin Detailer

Who is using it (DA version) and how are you using it?
    What machine? What speed? How long are you working it?

I am using it with a Flex on speed 6. I have used it with
    a Megs soft buff 2.0 red pad, LC PFW, and LC Orange Pad.
    The Megs soft buff pad is different (read harder) to use for
    me right now.

The 105 seems to cake on and is hard to buff off. I worked
    it only for about 20 secs and it was hard to buff off. However
    if I worked it til it started to go clear it buffed out easily.
    Any thoughts? I am asking because some have said to only
    work the 105 for a few seconds.

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Jedi Nuba

I just used it for the first time and it's great! Just make sure to load the pad really god and work a big area at first, then just use 2 pea sized drops to work your way from there. I worked it using around 10-15lbs of pressure and doing 2 x 2 sections. Did 2 passes with the 10-15lbs of pressure and then 2-3 passes with just the pad doing a contact with the surface until it became almost transparent. I will be posting an extreme makeover in the next few days so you should see how it ended

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Look up the Kevin Brown method. It might have some insight on working times.

4. hades02

hades02 Virgin Detailer

Ok thanks guys. I did do the KBM pad priming procedure.
    Wasn't sure if the work time I was using was wrong.

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

There is a 'paper' soon to be published by Kevin Brown that has an in-depth explanation of this 'method' and the use of a random orbital polisher

This is not meant in anyway to preempt that publication, its just my understanding of the method suggested, I'm looking forward to learning all the nuances of this system myself

Mequiar’s Super Micro Abrasive Technology (SMAT) - that is used in these polishes (M105 & M205) utilizes non-diminishing abrasives. Using a compound with a random orbital polisher requires a very different technique, pressure, pad selection, pad priming (with the compound) etc. The product used is a non-diminishing, heavy cut compound, applied with a 4-inch foam pad (to ensure maximum abrasive used over minimum area) and like all non-diminishing compounds or polishes, they require applied pressure to ensure abrasive contact with the paint surface to ensure constant surface contact. Work them until you achieve the desired finish. Pad grit number, amount of pressure applied and time will all affect the amount of abrasion achieved. A properly primed cutting pad will eliminate most surface scratches and M205 will burnish the finish

Notes
    1.To achieve a swirl free finish, apply moderate pressure on initial passes, reducing pressure gradually with very light pressure on final passes.
    2.Clean and / or replace pads as often as is necessary; a clean seasoned pad will enhance the abrasive abilities of the compound / polish and make the process not only more efficient but less time consuming.
    3.There is a similarity between using a non-diminishing abrasive polish and wet-sanding with a 3000 + grit finishing paper; as it eliminates the ‘abrasive polishing to burnishing process’ as you have a constant and consistent abrasive medium, the longer you work the polish / compound the more surface defects / clear coat is removed

Priming / Seasoning Pads
    Spread the polish / compound over the pad evenly and ensure it is absorbed into the foam, then spread that polish onto the pad by hand until it becomes 80% saturated. To apply to the paint surface; lightly raise the back of the machine so you are working with the top 1/3 of the pad. After polishing for a minute or two the pad will become more evenly saturated with product and actually become softer from heat build-up (seasoned). At this point, you can safely transition from a tilted up to a flat polishing position. Every time you put a fresh pad on your machine (and this should be done often) you should prime and then season it for a minute or two before "flat" polishing.
    Once the pad has been seasoned (pad should be saturated with product being used to compound / polish) you can reduce the amount of polish / compound applied to the pad for subsequent passes; dependent upon what you're trying to accomplish. If you use too much polish or compound the oils will cause the surface to become over lubricated, which will negatively impact the abrasive abilities

Some advantages to pad priming:
    •Increased cutting ability
    •Better surface finish
    •Eliminates carrier system (solvent) flashing problems
    •Surface is more evenly polished and polisher is easier to control

When you prime entire pad, by spreading the non-diminishing abrasives uniformly and by keeping the pad flat thus ensuring constant paint / polish contact it becomes similar to a piece of wet-sanding finishing paper, the oils in the polish provide the lubrication (like the water does in wet-sanding)

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved. ​

6. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

how you prime the pad and with what. in videos i seen they spray pad priming solution (i think pinacle something)

7. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Water.:thumb:

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

You prime the pad with the product itself.

9. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

I "load" the pad with 105, I mean that I pre lube it , but I prime it with water. You don't need a "quick detailer" is what I was saying. Make sense?

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

What is the point of the water then if you "load" the pad with product? All you need to do is prime the pad with the product itself, it is just that simple. No need for water, QD or anything else.

11. Nica

Nica Banned

I would have to agree with the Rocket man :nod:

12. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

got it. thanks. thought i was doing it all wrong

13. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

:thumb:

Spread the polish / compound over the pad evenly and ensure it is absorbed into the foam, then spread that polish onto the pad by hand until it becomes 80% saturated.

14. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

I spray the pad with water to get some extra use out of the product when it starts to dry up on me.

15. AlvinOne7

AlvinOne7 Virgin Detailer

It says that the m105 has non diminishing abbrasives but about 1 minute into working with it with a orange ccs pad it seems to get caked up and white specs are all over the place? Am i not using enough product?

16. richy

richy Guest

As this is a very strong cutting product, I have only ever used it with wool. A minute sounds like a long time to actually use it. Try spritzing with a bit of water or more product. This is a get in, do it fast and get the hell out kinda product...took me a bit of playing to get used to it.

17. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Clean and / or replace pads as often as is necessary; a clean seasoned pad will enhance the abrasive abilities of the compound / polish and make the process not only more efficient but less time consuming.

I've found that if you use water (as opposed to the product) the polish tends to 'clump'. Try cleaning the pad periodically with a brush and add product or replace with a primed pad