megs 105/205

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by uncleglenny, Jun 4, 2009.

1. uncleglenny

uncleglenny Two Bucket System Washer

are they a pretty reliable combination? (for a pc DA) for removing swirls and scratches, been using wolfgang tsr 3.0 and wondering if they are comparable, looking to try something different and possibly cheaper, what do you think?

2. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

from what i've seen and read on this forum, this is probably the most versatile two polish combo around

3. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

I always find the Meguiars abrasives best suited to rotary - its not that by DA they are bad, I just find that compared to Menzerna they lack just a little something by DA. On the rotary its a whole difference kettle of fish.

By DA though, they will perform well... my only worry here is that you have a light cutting finishing polish and an aggressive compound and nothing in between - I would add a medium abrasive "workhorse" polish such as #83 or Menzerna SIP into that list, as if the #205 doesn't have the required cut you dont want to be jumping in at the deep end with a compound, wasting paint when it may not be needed... Just a thought. :)

4. Ron1

Ron1 Virgin Detailer

I would agree with Dave. I have both Menz andf the 105. Tried the 105 with a PC and 4' LC orange pads on my wife's daily driver this last weekend and tried using the proposed new DB method getting the pads pre lubed etc. Personally, I did not like the 105 with a PC and got a much better finish switching back to SIP and the same type orange pads.

With the 105 I was using a speed of 6 with a fair amount of pressure initially then let the PC finish up. I did not get the cut I was hoping for and it was much harder to remove than the SIP. So for me, I'm staying with Menz products.

5. uncleglenny

[ So for me, I'm staying with Menz products.[/QUOTE]

what menz products would be equivalent to the megs? i guess i'm just looking to try something different, that work good but isn't that expensive, i'm just a newby but i do my own as well as others vehicles and i would like to have products on hand when i need them, i like the wolfgang products but doesn't seem to go very far.
    mostly i just do swirl removal and minor scratch removal.

6. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

Used 205 for the first time some weeks ago and I really rate it. Haven't tried it with a DA, but with a rotary it leaves an amazing shine and depth, and the clarity is extreme.

I corrected using #83(which is so cheap) and followed it with the 205. A good combo IMO.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Mequiar’s Super Micro Abrasive Technology (SMAT)

That is used in these polishes (M105 Ultra Cut Compound 1200< grit CAS 10/10 and M205 Ultra Finishing Polish CAS4/10) utilizes non-diminishing abrasives.

Using a compound with a random orbital polisher requires a very different technique, pressure, pad selection, pad priming (with the compound) etc. The product used is a non-diminishing, heavy cut compound, applied with a 6 – inch LC CCS Orange Light Cutting or Yellow Cutting flat foam pads, (to ensure maximum abrasive used over minimum area) and ensure that pad is clean by removing paint / polish debris regularly or replace

Like all linear abrasive compounds or polishes, they require a correctly primed pad, to ensure sufficient product, the use of applied pressure to ensure abrasive contact with the paint surface, this ensures constant surface contact. Linear abrasives require that you work the product until you achieve the desired finish.

Prime the pad by semi-saturating (80%) the pad with M105 and spread the abrasives uniformly. Keeping the pad flat while applying a constant / consistent pressure; thus ensuring constant paint / polish contact, when the initial polish has been expended replace with 5-6 small sized dots. Keep the pad flat (like you would with a sanding block) while applying constant pressure, the oils in the polish provide the lubrication (like the water does in wet-sanding).

Pad grit number, amount of pressure applied and time will all affect the amount of abrasion achieved. If the initial process doesn’t provide the desired finish, increase the aggressiveness of the process; i.e. use a longer working time, increased pressure, increase the cut of the polishing pad. A properly primed cutting pad will eliminate most surface scratches and M205 will polish (burnish) the finish

Notes
    1. To achieve a swirl free finish, apply moderate pressure on initial passes, reducing pressure gradually with very light pressure on final passes.
    2. During the polishing process, trace amounts of paint and / or oxidation is removed; this can cause the debris and the polish to “clump” together. This can cause a haze to the paint surface, a wipe-down or a paint cleaning product will eliminate this.
    3. Use a brush to clean the pad after each time you polish a section, as it keeps the pad from accumulating too much polish on the paint surface but the pad remains saturated, avoiding the necessity of adding as much polish as the first panel or two.
    4. Clean and / or replace pads as often as is necessary; a clean seasoned pad will enhance the abrasive abilities of the compound / polish and make the process not only more efficient but less time consuming.
    5. Using non-diminishing abrasives and wet-sanding are both linear abrasive processes, as you have a constant and consistent abrasive medium, the longer you work the polish / compound the more surface defects / clear coat is removed
    6. Speeds used - M105 / Rotary Polisher / Wool Pad at 1200-1500 RPM, speed 5 on the PC 7424 and a speed of 4.0 on the Flex XC3401VRG Dual-Action Polisher

The originator of this polishing method, Kevin Brown (Mequiar’s) is in the process of writing a paper on the subject

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.

8. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I have had great results using 105/205 combo with my PC and 4" pads. I agree though you need to have something else on hand that is not as agressive as 105, like SIP

9. uncleglenny

where does menz sip rate in cutting ability? from what i read its designed for ceramic clear coats would that be to much for regular clears?

10. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

Its designed for ceraminc clears int its abrasive style, but is perfectly useable on normal clears as well - in fact that is what I use it on mostly :)

If I were to put numbers on it:

#205: 4/10 cut
    SIP: 6/10 cut
    #105: 10/10 cut

11. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

:agree:

12. uncleglenny

could i use the wolfgang swirl remover 3.0 as an in between?

13. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

You could, but its not nesecerary:headbang: