Mclaren MP4-12C New Car Prep- Premier Shine

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by premshine09, Aug 31, 2012.

1. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Hey there DB,

Up next is a brand new Mclaren MP4-12C in an amazing Volcano Red, the client picked up this Mclaren not too long after I completed work on their F430 and Viper RT-10. After going over the car with both the halogens and the LED light, they were as surprised as I was over the numerous amounts of sanding scratches and large areas that had not been finished down properly- light rotary swirls present!

The aim was solely on perfecting the Volcano red exterior- Interior was vacuumed out and lightly brushed down with my boars hair brushes.

Befores

Such a radical and beautiful design by Mclaren
    [​IMG]

Dust, dust, dust- owner drove this one home in the rain unfortunately
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Light dusting on these optional forged wheels
    [​IMG]

Admiring this unique color
    [​IMG]

Sonax setting up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wash and decon process
    [​IMG]

Only two areas needed to be hit with the fine grade clay bar- the car was dried and pulled inside to be inspected

Correction Items used:
    FLEX DA
    PC DA
    Foams- Yellow, Orange, Green, Black
    Menzerna SIP, Menzerna Power Finish, Sonax Perfect Finish, Megs M105

NOTE- the black marks in the paint are from my wax pen- I gently right on the surface when performing new car preps- it does not damage the clear in ANY way and is removed during the spreading phase when polishing.

Copious amounts of dried wax/ compound material EVERYWHERE
    [​IMG]

There were 2 sections on the hood where the factory did not fully finish down there sanding/ compounding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other section found above the drivers side tire on the upper fender and also down the slope of the hood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Afters with Menz SIP and followed up by Sonax Perfect Finish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Section of the hood after
    [​IMG]

The ENTIRE Front bumper had sanding marks along virtually along all of its edges- caution was taken when performing work on these areas- proper taping, slow speeds etc. were used.

Front bumper After
    [​IMG]

Both doors were riddled in light marring and fine line spider-webbing, unfinished sand-marks......etc etc.

Shoulder line of door
    [​IMG]

By far the two WORST areas were found right where the edge of the doors met the rear panel before heading into the massive air inlets carved into the Mclarens body........seen below. These took quite some time and caution to perfect!
    [​IMG]
    Some nice sanding haze mmmmm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below shoulder line of door and a couple other shots of the clear on the door itself
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Afters- the door and shoulder line was hit with a pass of Menz SIP on an orange foam- finished down with Sonax Perfect Finish/ Green foam. The area going into the carved out inlets (heavier damage) was hit with M105 on an orange foam and then finished down with Menz Power FInish
    Ahhhhh now there is clarity!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

O look........more dried up wax/ compound! Your far too kind Mclaren.......
    [​IMG]

Even better! You forgot to tape off the trim!
    [​IMG]

Roof- unfinished sanding marks.....light swirling...... wasn't surprised after getting this far along. Befores:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

M105 on an orange foam- Menz PF to follow up
    Afters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moving on to the rear drivers side panel- entire panel needed to be hit- Menz SIP and Sonax PF here...
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Engine decklid area- below the rear window covering the Carbon dressed moto there is an area where the panel is disected into two by a black vent- the left side (drivers) was clear and finished down perfecly....... the passenger side......not so much.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Passenger side door:
    [​IMG]
    Rear passenger fender/panel
    [​IMG]

O look- just as the drivers side!
    [​IMG]

Slight swirling in the door
    [​IMG]

These areas were all corrected and finished down as the drivers side was!

IPA wipedown performed- 303 applied to all needed areas- OPT water based dressing on the tires
    LSP= Two coats of Menzerna Powerlock

Fast forward 4 hours after completing the passenger side defects and addressing the rear area......
    Afters:
    The cockpit (before vacuuming)
    [​IMG]
    Displays were birght and intense
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!
    - Dan K.

2. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Gorgeous car. From what you have done for this guy in the past and the fact I can see an H2, Rolls Royce, and a Range Rover in the background...along with a fine looking house. It's safe to say this guy has money. And easily has more money in cars then most people will accumulate in net worth over their entire life. Pretty freaking incredible.

3. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

great job guys!

4. 3PedalMINI

3PedalMINI DB Forum Supporter

Whoa! gorgeous!

5. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Great work on a cool car! His pool house looks bigger than some full houses.

Surprised with how "suited and booted up" this guy is that his driveway isn't paved....

6. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

My guess is that it is either on the way or he likes it that way. When you build a house the driveway is the last to go in so 1-the ground can settle and 2-the heavy equipment does not ruin the blacktop or pavers. The guy have over a million dollars in cars in the picture somehow I don't think it is a money issue-but i could be worng.

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

I would agree

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

That wax pen is an ingenious Idea..............

A buddy of mine owns a body shop and does the same thing but with an overhead dry erase pen.

Outstanding work.

9. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I would not doubt he could be doing pavers, alot of the money'd up people In fresno do pavers, but have them custom done with specific patterns done on a CAD machine, its quite an in depth process, and nothing screems "i have money" then a 150,000.00 drive way custom made out of hand cut slate or other pavers.

10. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

Nice!!! I think thats my favorite color! Those rims are money! Dan you guys knocked it out of the park!

11. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Wow. What a car man. That is awesome that you had the opportunity to work on such a beauty. It's amazing how red that car is and how much the metallic flake pops. It's so red that the camera has a hard time taking a photo of it LoL.

Simply amazing how dealerships sell cars like that in which cost well over $100,000 and they can't afford to spend $500+ to have it detailed properly for their client? Horrible!

12. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

$500 would be a steal!

13. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys! And just to be clear this is all done by me- I am the sole owner of my little (not really) business- the other friends were some of my good friends from high school days whom do photography and shoot video- I always call them up to give them a "unique" opportunity.

Thanks for all the comments fellas :)
    - Dan