Matte White Wrap

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Ch40t1c, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

Hey all, wanted to get some input. Seriously considering the idea of wrapping my whole car in a matte white vinyl, but am concerned about rock chips - but more importantly keeping it clean. The car in question is a 03 330i and is my DD. The car is currently Sapphire Black, but I think it would look pretty sick in matte white with the current matte black wheels and CF accents. What are all your guys' thoughts/opinions? The car is "all show no go" so keep that in mind. At this point in my life I don't think I need to have 400+hp; I don't believe I have the maturity, or driving ability to warrant that much power. Maybe I'm just weird:shrug:.

Some matte white vinyl wrapped cars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Keeping it clean would consist of using something like Opti-seal I think. I like the matte white look. It's hard to do though.

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

yes you are weird.
    my 425hp in the srt8 is all about safety!
    i can get out of a sticky place (like when people are shifting lanes and dont bother to look and see if i'm in that lane) and do it damn fast :) jk

anyway. the matte white would look nice. there has to be a way to keep vinyl clean.
    i found this document that talks about the care.
    http://www.cliffdigital.com/cliff_digital_car_wrap_care.pdf

4. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

i dont know, seems like death to the hobbiest detailer wrapping your car in vinyl

having said that though, im tossing up whether to paint the lower sills/skirt on my solid black gtr body colour or going matt black vinyl

i just think this is a bit of fad, like black wheels which really arent that cool anymore

plus those cars attached are modified M3's, they can pull off the look alot better than a stock 3 series

5. Ch40t1c

Ouch haha, I have black VMR V710's :doh:. It's lowered on Eibach sportlines, CSL front, smoked corners and sidemarkers, lightly smoked euro tails, shadowline instead of the ugly chrome trim, matte black kidneys and soon to be CSL trunk and GTR hood. I'm sure alot of people will hate on me for making the car a E46 CSL replica, but I'm only about the cosmetics right now - all show no go like I mentioned before. I know that doesn't make me a true 'enthusiast' and really hope that doesn't qualify me as a ricer:whistle:.

6. domino

oh no

VMR = taiwan quality wheels. The 710 is a great copy of the HRE P40, very good looking wheel on the E46

yep id imagine alot of ppl would flame you for building a fake M3 CSL. I personally dont see the point, and as long as you dont put M or CSL badges on it, so be it, it's your car

one of the reasons i started modifying my M3 with WORK wheels etc was to distance it from all the ppl putting fake M3 wheels and fake M3 bumpers on their stock 3's

7. Ch40t1c

Really? I heard nothing bad about the quality of VMR wheels before. But yeah I'm not claiming it's anything that it's not. No badges at all on the car ever for me, nor those fake m3 side grills I've seen on some 325i around here :lol:. It's slow, I know this and have accepted this fully. I relate my car to a pretty girl that can't cook - looks good and it's fun to look at...but when you get back to business - kinda useless.

8. domino

M3s arent that quick either mate, not by today's standards of high torque turbo hatches, or all those over-engined under-chassis'd leaf sprung live axle american V8s

my bolt on 350Z put down over 220 rwkw. The M3 would be struggling to put down high 180s at the rear wheels

9. AZN_C300

AZN_C300 Birth of a Detailer

VMRs are replica wheels, but they're one of the better replica wheels on the market :thumb: Matte white looks great. One of the local show teams has a matte white e90 M3 and it looks sick.

10. t-dawg

t-dawg Two Bucket System Washer

I had a client with a vinyl wrapped matte white Aston Martin Vantage. I think the car looked amazing in it, but the only drawback was that people tend to want to touch it in public, and any dirt will show on the vinyl. The vinyl can be polished with a random orbital with a soft finishing pad polish, but I only do so at slow speeds. Putting a durable sealant such as Colli 845 or DG 105 will help protect the finish. I think you should do it on your 330!

[​IMG]

11. LuDawg

LuDawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Looks sick! How much does something like that cost? I have a 2008 Infinity G35X in Slate Blue. I'm not digging the color so much and this would be a perfect solution!

LuDawg

12. Nightrider4531

Nightrider4531 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'm in too, to see how much something like this would cost....

13. Ch40t1c

So far I've gotten two quotes: 2500 for the entire car with a 5year warranty on the material, and 1 year on the work. Other one was for 2800 with a 5 year warranty on the vinyl and 1 year on the work. Still waiting to hear back from some other companies.

14. scott14

scott14 Birth of a Detailer

do itttttttt

15. LuDawg

LuDawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Sounds reasonable... how long should it last? Hopefully more then 5 years! hahaha.

LuDawg

16. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I think the fad has already come and gone. I personally wouldn't do it.

17. Ch40t1c

I've heard alot of numbers thrown around, but ~4 years if it's on the exterior and ~12 years on the interior seems to be average. I haven't found someone that has left it on that long however. I think it's good if you want something temporary, especially if you want something that would hurt your resale.