Maserati Granturismo Correctional + 22PLE app.

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by premshine09, May 8, 2013.

1. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Hey all-

Up here is a Maserati Granturismo in dire need of correctional work. The 'turismo had numerous defects including overspray, sanding marks, heavy swirls from the "professional" at the dealership, heavy marring and cobwebbing abound.

The client and I both agreed to perform any amount of necessary work to bring this 'turismo back to stellar condition. Being a very successful and accomplished cardiac surgeon, the client has the "eye" for detail :)

The 'turismo was first pulled outside and given a full decon wash- the entire body was foamed down with a mixture of Dawn/ CG Citrus wash. Wheels were first hit with Sonax FE, then hit again with IronX to fully clean up the wheel faces and barrels. APC/ Tarminator on the tires to strip the built up tire dressing. The body was fully clayed with ONR and a medium grade bar.

Correction was performed with:
    Rupes 21
    Flex DA
    PC 7424- various backing plates
    Yellow, orange, green, blue foam
    Surbuf R series pads

After being fully dried and pulled in for inspection we can see some of the defects:
    Hood:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Passenger side door and various other areas of the car riddled with heavy swirling from improper machine use (80% of the car body)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

50/50 on the door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other side of the hood was pretty hammered
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Driver door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front bumper before and after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More buffer trails on the passenger rear fender
    [​IMG]

Rear glass:
    The rear glass was covered in clear coat overspray thanks to the geniuses at the body shop. The glass was first clayed with an aggressive block which didn't make a dent. So, with the Rupes/ by hand and CarPro's Ceriglass/ Zaino Clearview glass Polish and a yellow/ orange foam pad combo with several passes and well over an hour of work- voilla, overspray gone.

Before: notice the little dots to the left of the light
    [​IMG]
    Love this product
    [​IMG]

Rear decklid defects:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The entire driver rear fender panel and around the trident logo were also covered in overspray- after trying an aggresive clay with no change, time for gentle wetsanding:

First, 2000 gritt, followed by 2500- M105/ SIP/ Sonax PF finished down perfectly and removed all of the overspray
    [​IMG]

After nearly 15 hours thoroughly wetsanding and compounding 1-2 steps the 'turismo had collected enough dust that another decon rinse was needed- followed by a thorough wipedown with CarPro Eraser

During this time I took an hour or two to further dial in the wheels with an IronX treatment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After being fully rinsed, dried and wipeddown with Eraser, I took a break to begin treating the trim with Black Wow- love this product
    [​IMG]

Faded rear trim with burnt in wax- thanks dealership
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another 10 hours later and a thorough finishing with Sonax Perfect FInish via green/ blue foam it was time for a wipedown with Eraser and 22PLE Pro Coating application
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The block is ready:
    [​IMG]

Applied and waiting the 5 minutes per panel- high spots visible- these were leveled out throughout the 5 minutes
    [​IMG]

Glass cleaned in and out- tires dressed with Megs HyperDressing- the motor was cleaned with Megs APC, dressed in 303 AP.

The interior was brushed/ wipeddown with Megs APC, Leatherique oil was applied and left to dwell on all the interior leather overnight., interior carpet was vacuumed and extracted.

Pre-coating under the LED:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Decklid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After 5 days of full cure time for the coating here are the afters:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The hood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!
    - Dan K.

2. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Looks great Dan, your best work up to date! hope you're staying busy...n maybe.. get yourself a new camera hehe

3. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Thanks buddy! Keeping very busy- just graduated and settling some very nice clients ;) before I eventually relocate by the end of the summer- I don't think this one is my best but its among the top 10 I've done on my list.

As for the camera....yea I know- being in VA and far from my SLR which is with my brother in upstate NY- Colgate U to be exact means I have to borrow the girlfriends point and shoot.

Hopefully see you soon my friend while I am still in Jersey

4. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

That looks fantastic

5. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Always impressed with your work, do you plan on relocating and using your degree or making this a career?

6. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Thank you!

Both. I have a good friend along with a shared colleague whom just purchased a nice piece of property he will be developing over the next year/ two years. I will most certainly be in Healthcare administration (what I studied) but will of course perform my detail work outside of the 9-5 career- possibly with my friend at this new location. Time will tell but trust me, detailing for me is a passion which I plan to continue for the rest of my life, full time or not. Training and having employees underneath me is something I look forward to having ;)