Mar-Hyde Paint measuring Gauge

Discussion in 'Sale, Trades, or Bargains' started by heatgain, Jun 26, 2008.

1. heatgain

heatgain Guest

I was at my local PBE store buying UltraFina, a 3" backplate and an interface pad when I noticed some items on a shelf marked "Sale." The item is a Mar-Hyde Paint Measuring Gauge #1099 and is selling for $15.00. Of course I bought one. It's a 4 inch long cylinder, about the thickness of a fat pen, and comes in a plastic case with instructions. It has a pocketclip attached like a pen.
    It has a small magnet on one end which you place on a coated steel object, such as a car panel. You grasp the top of it and pull slowly away from the object you are measuring. The magnet sticks to the panel and as you pull away, a measuring cylinder pulls out from its sheath. The cylinder has a scale (mils) printed on it, from 14 to 0, and is spring loaded. You have to watch the scale as you pull the gauge slowly from the panel you are measuring, and when it reaches a certain point away from the panel, the spring pops the scaled cylinder back into the gauge. The last reading you saw on the scale is the mil thickness of the coating (paint). The scale markings are 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, etc.
    I measured its readings against other gauges and its weirdly accurate.
    It has 2 different scales, one for reading a horizontal (top) panel, another for reading a (side) vertical panel. For a panel where you're measuring from underneath, you subtract .002" (2 scale lines) to arrive at a thickness. You get readings like 2, 5, 4, 6, etc. You'll have to approximate for instance 4.5, 6.75, 3.2, etc.
    It's cheap, fairly accurate, and you won't be working blindly on a car with no idea of the thickness of the paint, whether it's been repainted, etc.
    I could pick some up for any members if they'd like, $15.00 plus shipping. ($6? $5?, I'm guessing).
    Let me know if you'd like one. Please be sincere, don't want to lay out money and get stuck! Shipping can't be much, it doesn't weigh much?

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Do you think you could post some pictures of it? It sounds like a decent tool for $15 but since the measurements are only in mm, it probably would be good for just rough estimates.

3. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

4. heatgain

heatgain Guest

The measurements are in mils, 1/1,000 of an inch.

It looks exactly like the link below, except it says "Mar-Hyde Paint measuring Gauge
    Pro Gauge" on it.
    Same gauge would be my guess, but with the manufacturer's name on it.

5. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Ah, you said MIL. For some reason I subconsciously thought mm. I think it's mostly because we do all our measurements in mm, um, and nm in class. :shead:

6. heatgain

heatgain Guest

It's OK....I need reading glasses too :whistle:

7. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

i would take one for sure, $20 bucks or so, cant beat it

8. heatgain

heatgain Guest

That's one.
    Anyone else?
    Of course this depends if there's any left when I do go back to that store. It IS on a "CLEARANCE SALE" shelf. Too much gas to go for one.

9. richy

richy Guest

I have a pro gauge II..if it's the same, you'll like it. Carlos did some comparison before with his PGII and electronic ones, and the accuracy was very close. Close enough for me given what they cost.

10. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I am scared of shipping or else I would get one just to try out.

11. heatgain

heatgain Guest

Scared of shipping? I'll charge you what it costs to ship, not trying to make money on these, just thought I'd spread the good find around the Bliss. I think I caught the "share bug" from Nica and Tonya.
    I could mail it in a first class box or envelope. How ever I send it I'm guessing 10.00 or less. I'm not that familiar with shipping/postage rates.
    Anyone else interested? I don't know how much longer they'll have them on that shelf.

12. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

haha, shipping anything to Canada is expensive, but eh what the heck count me in.

Do you take paypal?

13. heatgain

heatgain Guest

I have Paypal, but I'll have to add whatever Paypal charges me, 3%? I don't mind making no money, but I don't want to lose any!

I have 3 Blissers that want a gauge so far. I'll go to the store Tuesday at the latest.
    Anyone else? Let me know.
    BTW, I forgot about the sales tax. It's 9% here in Mobile, I know, very high. Sorry. So the gauge will cost you $16.35 plus shipping. If that changes your mind, those 3 who wanted one, please let me know.

14. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

im still in, give it a shot, what the heck right

15. heatgain

heatgain Guest

So I went to the paint store today, picked up the 4 that were left, and the counter guy tells me $20.00 each. I told him I just bought one for $15.00 last week here, and it was marked $15.00 right on the packaging. He said that was a mistake, they had bought some inventory from a warehouse and the $15.00 marking on the one I got must be what they paid for each gauge. Sure enough, the one I bought was the only one with the $15.00 price on it.
    So, my apologies. I didn't pick up the 4 gauges for $20.00 each (plus sales tax) because I had told you guys $15.00.
    Sorry, I feel bad.

16. carguy461

carguy461 Two Bucket System Washer

I just got the one from harbor frieght and really like it, i was measuring in mils should it be done in ums. I will take one of those pens to and that price.:applause2:

17. heatgain

heatgain Guest

If you'd like one at that price (20.00 plus 9% sales tax + shipping) I'll go there early next week and get you one.....IF there are any left. There were 4 left when I was there last Monday.
    PS. I have the Harbor Freight one too.

18. timdon62

timdon62 Virgin Detailer

HI,
    Is this the same gauge
    Assorted Hand Tools . Need $50.00 order if any1 is getting 1 i would like to go in
    Thanks
    Tim

19. heatgain

heatgain Guest

That's the one. And I thought it was such a bargain at the store here.

20. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I would be in too