Maintenance Packages

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by maxepr1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

I'm curious on what everybody is doing for maintenance packages? Are you offering them or not? If so do you offer discounts for future services or full payment up front? And what is the advantage for the upsale, other than cost saving for the customer? Also weekly/biweekly or do you sell a number of visits for the package and let the customer do there own scheduling?

2. freefallin2000

freefallin2000 Birth of a Detailer

That would not be possible fr me as detailing is a side gig. I feel offering maintenance washes is huge, especially after you polish a customers car. I feel you have to get down to there level and make them understand how important it is for them to NOT go out and take it through the $4 quick wash.

3. ToadHollow

ToadHollow Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I offer 2 packages for all vehicles. Payment is made up front and the services include either 4 washes or 3 washes and a wax.

I priced these as full price minus 20%.
    Unsure if it's allowed, however here's the link to see what I'm describing:
    On The Go | Mobile Auto Detailing

4. freefallin2000

Is it just me, or are you VERY reasonable!?

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Dude, your pricing is soooooo low. I actually charge more, based on an hourly rate, for my wash/vac package. For detailing I charge $40/hr if the client books a package that keeps me there all day. If he just wants a wash /vac or a smaller package, those are based on $50/hr because of the billable hours I lose driving all over hells half acre. For a maintenance wash ( wash, dry, detail wheels, vac, wipedown, windows, dress tires ) I charge $60 for cars and $75 for full size trucks and SUVs. I spend around 1-1.25 hours on the cars and 1.5 hours on average for the SUVs.

6. ToadHollow

Yeah, the pricing is VERY reasonable and I probably don't charge as much as I should. The majority of detailing in this area (store front & mobile) is priced in the same ballpark though. Trying to stay competitive doesn't help much.

Many of the services offered are based at $60 per hour.

7. ToadHollow

911Fanatic

Do you have a website that I could take a look at to better gauge your pricing method?

8. 911Fanatic

I just had another look at your pricing. You say that most work in your area is priced at $60/hr which is good. But on your home page, you are giving away 4 wash packages for $140. Is this for 4 wash and vac packages or just exterior washes. The rest of your pricing looks pretty good.

9. ToadHollow

You're right, I went ahead and adjusted the package pricing. The washes include the exterior cleaning as well as interior vacuum, wipe down of cockpit area and glass. The pricing reflects about a 10% discount of the total package from regular pricing.

I miss spoke earlier ...... my pricing is generally based @ $60 per hour whereas similar services in the area are considerably much less. I'm forever being told my pricing is much too low .... then again it's extremely difficult to find customers who can "see" or much less justify the difference in cost of my services when compared to the local carwash pricing. We know the difference is night & day ......... I just wish the general public could see it as easily sometimes.

Thanks for the link!

Apologies to the OP ......... no hijacking intended!

10. Grizzman

Grizzman Any Rag Vehicle Washer

This country is in a recession.

He is slightly cheaper, yet he still performs quality work I can see.

911 fanatic,

You need to wake up a little.

You guarding your high prices is a turn off, and no he is not "so lowwwww".

The man just wants to be able to work in this economy, even for a few dollars cheaper is better than no work at all.

The ignorance appauls me.

11. thecarguy

thecarguy Virgin Detailer

Lol , Ken runs a very successful business , and charges what the market will bear . I read a quote somewhere , maybe on this forum that went something along the lines of " the high price will be forgotten long before the quality of work diminishes " that isn't an exact quote , but I think you get the idea . I feel that when a person discount their work / time , it devalues what they do in the eyes of the customer . As long as you educate your client on why your service costs what it does , and can stand behind the quality of work , then there is nothing ignorant going on . Not everybody can do what we do as professional detailers , and we should be paid accordingly . Just my two cents .

Cory

12. Grizzman

Grizzman Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Agreed.

But I do not like it when one man tells another how low he is in terms of price.

Keep in mind that your service area and what state you live in dictates your price a little.

13. Innovative

Innovative Virgin Detailer

I do offer maintenance programs with my services since I started back in 86. It has been the bread and butter of my business, where as I can see the same customer for 52 weeks a year. My maintenance packages depending on the customers needs and wants generally offer 3 washes + 1 preventative maintenance detail, some months they get 4:1. If the vehicle has been neglected or is in need of detailing prior to starting the program this must be done for an additional fee. Many of my customers like their vehicle waxed twice a month for an extra charge, and I do have several that like their vehicle to receive the PMD weekly for a premium charge. The average customer will pay $200 per month, per vehicle....no alternating vehicles. For the most part the customer has a set day with a time window and we handle the same client, every week on the same day around the same time....I charge most up front for the month, then some pay second week and some on the last week of the month. Then I use my open time slots for paint correction and onetime, quarterly and bi annual details....I have many customers that have been on this program for 16-18yrs, no up sales involved, just a 5 star service that they can count on.

14. freefallin2000

No sir, you need to wake up and realize what a world-class detailer Ken is. He charges according to his skill and knowledge level but also what his economy is doing. Ken is one of if not the most respected detailers on this forum.

15. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Ken charges accordingly to the work that is performed. You will not find many other detailers that are as thorough or as knowledgeable as he. His previous work speaks for him and his company. We have to remember that quality work and professionalism in any field costs.

16. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Buy Bentley or a Jetta......... even in this "economy" Bentleys have a market.

Markets dictate prices simple as that, and there will always be a business that can charge more due to the superior nature of the work product performed.

17. Trents_goat5.7

Trents_goat5.7 Jedi Nuba

Dude! You're in Lakeway, people there have the money to spend to get their cars properly taken care of. I looked at the location on your website, and you're just a couple minutes from my grandparents, they live on the lakeway runway.

18. Trents_goat5.7

Trents_goat5.7 Jedi Nuba

Toadhollow's business is based in Lakeway, Tx. 95% of the people out there drive 100k+ cars. Money is not an issue out there lol.

19. 911Fanatic

Before you start chucking shit, I suggest you get your facts straight. If you read my second post, you would see that I corrected myself and explained my reason for saying his prices were low. Although he was charging market value for the majority of his services, he was giving a package of 4 wash/vacs for a very low price. You my friend are the one that needs to wake up. Even in a slow economy, there are people who will be willing to pay for for quality. As noted, turns out the OP is working in or close to an affluent area. Maybe you should have asked about that first. I agree that sometimes it is better to work for a few dollars less as I have lowered the prices in my shop to help to stay busy as the economy up here slows as well. As for guarding my my high prices, why is it wrong for me to want to be paid for the type of work I am capable of doing? And you can bet your ass as soon as the economy picks up, I'll be putting my pricing right back up. In the future, instead of making immature comments as you have considering you don't even know me, I'd suggest structuring your comments in a fashion that isn't so offensive. Just sayin.....

20. freefallin2000

Grizzman, it is in my oppinion that you should watch what you say and what who you form oppinions about. You just opened probably the biggest can of worms possible on this board. Good luck defending yourself my friend. Ken is not taken lightly around here. HE defines detailing.