Macbook Pro broke

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Smith2287, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Well last night I went to turn on my macbook pro and it was making funny nosies and a little file with a question mark came up and the computer would not boot up. So i sent it to a computer tech and he told me right away the hard drive is shot. To get a new one its about $300. The computer is a little over two years old and little did I know out of apple care which only lasts two years. The tech recremended to purcahse a new computer rather than fix a old model which might have further problems than the hard drive. So my question to you guys is which laptop to look into. I was looking into the dell xps 1530 simply because its small and powerful like the macbook. I found online that dell offers discount codes that take off 25% if the computer is over 1500 and this sounds like a good deal. So do any of you have and xps or another good laptop that i should purcahse.

Sorry for the rant,

-Corey

2. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Applecare (if you bought the extended warranty) lasts 3 years from the purchase date (or two years from the factory warranty expiry).

I think either:
    A) If you bought Apple care you are still in warranty.
    or
    B) Spend the 300 (it should be less, really) to get a new drive. That is still a viable laptop even if it is 3 years of age.
    or
    C) Get a new notebook, send the MBP to me and I'll put in a new hard drive and surf happily into oblivion.

:D

If you have your Serial # handy punch it into this:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

It'll tell you what's up.

3. Smith2287

THanks for the promt reply, I didnt purcahse the extended applecare sadly and I am just out of the 2 year factory warranty. I was told that if it other problems than the hard drive it icould cost a lot to get it fixed. Maybe I will get it fixxed and hope its jsut the hard drive. The computer is a little bit beat up since I have pretty much brought it with me everywhere I went other than on a detail since the first day I got it. So that is my worry that I have additional problems.

4. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

That sucks! I don't know what I would do without my MBP. I use time machine to keep everything backed up, so I am ready for something like this to happen. I know a girl that had a hard drive failure on her regular macbook. I think that maybe some of the hard drives aren't so great on MBPs. Which hard drive did you have in it?

5. Chris

Chris Two Bucket System Washer

buy a replacement HD and reimage the system there is no need to pay 300 for the drive. You are looking at around $100 for a new HD and then you just need to do a re-image with the Disks you should already have.

6. Smith2287

Im not sure i think it is a 120 gb hd and i know it has the2.36 intel core duo processor in it. I went to best buy tonight to look at the computers and the only ones I liked were all the apple models lol. I am bringing it to the apple store tomorrow to get the problem properly tested. But according to the site I am out of warranty so im in the hands of apple tomorrrow. If it is not worth to get it fixed looks like im getting the macbook air as this is a cool very mobile laptop. But I am hoping it is just a sinmple hard drive swap and I will just have to deal with losing all my files.

Thanks,
    -Corey

7. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

Other world computing is your friend.

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Oooh that's not good :shakehead: But you know $300 is really not that much, $300 seems a bit high for a hard drive but a new Mac is a bit more then $300 but like you said what if it's $300 this time, then $400, then $500...ect..ect..I see your point.

The Macbook air is a cool machine :thumb: how much are those bad boys anyways? After my Macbook Pro purchase I'm not looking forward to purchasing another one, well any time soon that is :giggle:

Keep us posted how you make out, I'm quite curious...just in case I happen to go through the same issues, never know....but I did buy the extended warranty on my Mac :thumb:

9. kaval

kaval Two Bucket System Washer

I have had extremely bad luck with my MacBook. So glad to have the extended AppleCare warranty.

If you want to look into something more durable, I would recommend checking out the IBM notebooks. I abused one in university for 2 years straight and it laughed at everything I gave it.

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Really, what kind of problems were you having kaval, with your MacBook that is. Just curious. I honestly couldn't find any dirt on the MacBook's when I was looking into purchasing mine.

11. Smith2287

The macbook air is priced at around 2500 for the upgraded model which is a lot. I am hoping apple can repair mine and lets me purcahse a extended warranty. So i don't have to worry about this happening again. But looking back this notebook has taken a beaten as it been brought to school each day and to work plus droppeda few times by my brother. The shell is dented a bit but definetly not trashed. I will keep you guys informed of what I find out at the store tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the advice but I am not a computer savi guy and would rather leave it to apple to do it right. I know what would happen if i do myself as I would destroy to rest of the computer.:thud:

12. Smith2287

Well I went to the apple store at exactly 10 thinking there would be no one there since the mall just opened. But I walk into the mall and to the store only to find the store is jammed packed already. The new iphone is bringing them in some crazy business. So I make an appointment to come back at 3 which is there next opening and leave to head home for a few hours.
    I go back to the mall and into the store and sign in and finally get called and right away the guy knows it was the hard drive cause it booted right up using there external one. The guy was extremly helpful and told me he would not charge me the labor fee so it going to be 160.00 which I thought was real good considering best by wanted over 300. And on top of that he told me that he would write down that I had the most current operating system, leopard. I then asked him if this computer is worth fixxing and he told me yes since as soon as you have leopard there would be no difference between mine and the new ones. The only difference is that my processor is a 2.36 and the new ones go to 2.6 but to me which uses the computer for basic things would not even know the difference. So in 2 days I will have my notebook back with no other problems hoepfully.

13. Mindflux

Good deal man! :) I'm glad they helped you out.

14. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

My wife recently bought an iBook. I was tempted that same day to buy one as well. Not that's she it for about 6 months and I have received her feedback, well, I think I'm sticking with a PC! They are beautiful machines and they look better than anything else. But apparantly, that operating isn't as stable as everyone claims it to be. The machine hangs more than my XP machine does.

15. Mindflux

I've had I think one lock up/hang with OSX. Is your wife truly using an iBook? Those have a G3 processor in them, which in computer terms is ancient as can be. I wouldn't doubt that trying to run a newer version of OSX (assuming) on a G3 would cause problems.

16. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

i would just pay 300 for the new HD. it doesn't get much better than the macbook pro. I would get the apple car too because it pretty much covers EVERYTHING.

17. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

This just shows you how little I know about Apple computers: she has 13-inch white MacBook. She's had it for about 6 months now.

18. Mindflux

Ah. Well that should be quite an agile performer. I'm surprised she's having so many problems.

Maybe you can ask her more about it when you get a chance? I'll be glad to help diagnose her problems if I'm familiar with the issue.

Seriously! My iMac, in the past 10 months of ownership has locked up once and that was because I was trying to get my fiancee's blackberry to work in a Windows virtual session and it wasn't having anything to do with it.

19. 2000AV6

2000AV6 Virgin Detailer

I have a new 2.4 macbook and it has locked up probably 10 times in the 3 months ive had it.

20. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad everything worked out $160 and an upgrade, not bad at all :cheerl:

As for Macs locking up, can't say that has ever happened to mine, works flawlessly for me :shrug: