m83 then ultrafina?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by MrPolished&Waxed, Apr 2, 2008.

1. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

will ultrafina take out m83 buffer swirls? I dont think its supposed to be as aggressive as m80?

Anyone used the UF with the yellow or tan megs pad or sonus sfx blue or white pads? I dont want to buy the 8in pad if I dont need to.

thanks

2. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

i just bought a UF yesterday and asked the guy in the local store if do i really need to get the UF pad, and he said that that's the recomendation of 3m, but he said that i can always use any finishing bad. I touched and felt the UF pad and it's almost the same as the megs tan pad sonus blue.... so just try.. i haven't tried mine yet.. still waiting for good weather..

3. MrPolished&Waxed

the sonus pads are not like the megs pads? there solid?
    but i can imagine the tan megs and the 3m pad being the same.

what do you think about it taking out the m83 swirls?

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

It will work just fine with any finishing pad and it will remove your buffer marks.

5. jake_b

the UF is designed as the finishing polish said to take out the most lightest swirl from polishes. well, at least this is what it claims. pls don't qoute me on this.. but i read in a lot of forums this being used in the last stage in polishing. do you have the UF already? just try it with the megs tan pad. if it doesn't work, you can always get the UF pad. i'm also going to try it on the megs pad

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I have used it with several different finishing pads including the Megs and the UF works fine with it. You will have no problems with it, the way you know that it is working correctly or you have enough polish on the pad you will see little oil spots all over, that is how you will know that you and the polish are working correctly.

7. jake_b

thanks for the info asphalt

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

You are welcome. Also one other note, use a little pressure at first with the ultrfina then ease up and finish with no pressure. Sorry forget to mention that in my above post.

9. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

UF is very easy to use and I compare it with 106FA/106FF, it has some correction and finishes great.
    I don't see Meguiars 83 swirls after using it... or marring, I just use a finishing polish to ensure that I don't leave any hologram at all.

10. MrPolished&Waxed

after using ultrafina, or after using m83 you dont see swirls/holograms?

I have noticeable holograming after using m83, are you saying you dont?

11. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

UF takes out whats left from M105 and a yellow wool pad for me.

As long as you have a film of polish on the paint, you can keep working UF. I start out on low and do 2 passes. Then I crank it up to 1700 and apply some good pressure for 3-4 passes. Then just the weight of the rotary for the last pass at lowest setting. Yesterday I polished out a black benz outside in sunny 80°f weather. I had no issues at all with UF in the direct sun.

I still like the 3M blue pad the best with UF. The new Megs black solo finishing pad is very nice with UF as well, but I need more time with it. I should of used the black megs more on the benz, but I got my groove on and just kept on polishing away w/ the 3M blue. :)

Also have used the green propel P2 pad (american buffing co) w/ UF and have got great results.

12. maesal

I don't leave holograms with m83 and a medium pad with the light of a 500 W focus. Maybe in the sun I could see something, but I don't put the car in the sun for examination. But I do a IPA wipedown to leave the surface clean and then inspect it. If you finishes your application of #83 without pressure and at ~900 rpm, is very difficult to leave holograms. But if the clear coat is very soft leaving holograms is easier.
    To ensure a hologram finish, I use a finishing polish and a finishing pad, like Blue Propel 2 and Menzerna PO106FA or PO85RE5 for example.

13. maesal

I think the blue Propel 2 is more appropriated to use it with UF, it will leave IMHO a better finish.