M105/205 process

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by SpecC, Jun 16, 2009.

1. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

So I ordered M105 and M205 from a local shop around here, and I was wondering about the polishing process between this. Since M105 cuts pretty hard and M205 doesn't, would a process like this be necessary?

M105 with orange
    M205 with white, green or black?
    M205 with black or blue

Or...

M105 with orange
    M105 with green or white
    M205 with black or blue

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

good question. want to know this as well :waiting:

3. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

The whole concept for the MTwins is that there isnt really another step that need be taken. They are meant to work together, on their own. Some people havent been able to finish down M205 with a rotary to their satisfaction, but for the most part i hear it is a legitimate dual polish system. I have not used 205, but i love 105...M105 on orange/PFW for me, and soon 205 on black LC/White Edge pad. Obviously it is up for debate on the pad selection for 105 depending on the paint's condition, just use your judgement. and let us know how it works for you

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The two are great products but 205 needs to be followed up, it just doesn't have the gloss level that other finishing polishes have. I have a Megs rep coming by the shop after he gets done with his travels and we are going to go over 205 and other finishing polishes so I can show him the differences. Liek I told him, if they could take that little something from UF and add it to 205, then I would agree it is a great finishing polish.

5. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Apparently DaveKG had it finish down better than PO85RD, some different way he worked the abrasives.

6. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I had heard both accounts. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

7. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Maybe so in his eyes but I worked with seven ways from Sunday and it does not have the gloss of other polishes. This also the opinion of other highly regarded detailers. Not taking anything away from Dave, but who is to say he is getting the ultimate gloss out of 85rd, so in turn 205 would look better. It depends upon how you work each finishing polish and when the majority is saying that it needs to be followed up then I know I have worked it to its limits which is just a little short of other finishing polishes.

8. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Very true. I didn't mean to undercut your credibility but I figured it was worth mentioning; I wasn't sure how much you've used it. I personally have never tried it. It makes me feel good though considering my 106fa purchase wasn't a bust.

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Didn't take it that way, I have used over a gallon of the stuff so its not like I don't like it. It is a very good cleaner upper polish. That would be my way of descibing it, it cleans up after 105 great, but it needs to be followed up. If you noticed I did not use any Menzerna in any of the three show and shines I just posted, that should tell you something there because I love some Menzerna.

10. Bunky

Bunky Guest

The Meg's concept is that M105/M205 will satisfy a lot of people (production oriented for sure) . As always, some will want to achieve a higher standard.

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Would agree with that 100%

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

In your opinion (which I value) does 85rd/87mc finish better than Ultrafina or about the same? Considering same paint same pad.

13. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Wow, lets see, to me they give dam near the same results but UF is so much easier to use. Right now after the 93 Cobra I did, Scholls S40 gets the nod. I should have split the hood with Scholls and UF on the Cobra to see which one I would prefer but from the results of Scholls I got who could complain.

14. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

M105 with orange/M205 with white.

15. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

thanks for the responses everyone!

16. Bunky

Bunky Guest

What do you mean by easier to use? I have used PO85RD and it just has a very very long work time with a DA. I consider it easy to use so unless it works quicker I am not sure how it could be easier -- just faster which is good too.

17. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

How are you using PO85RD on rotary, Asphalt rocket? low rpms, and work forever? That's what I've done. I've never brought 85RD up above 1200rpms.

18. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I find UF to have a longer working time than 85RD. UF has a lot of lubrication.

19. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

First off what is a da?-lol. When you use UF with a rotary you will see what I mean, with a da of course its going to be easier. Turn it on speed 6 and go, no real paint burnishing. Until you have a real grasp on the rotary and paint correction you will not get or see the difference in the two products. The product itself is easier to manipulate the way I want it to to bring out the gloss level. 85rd is great in its own right, and if I feel like spending a ton of time with a polish then I would go with 85rd becuase when you work that correctly it leaves an unbelievable gloss also. It's that UF is that much easier to accomplish what I am after.I am in no way trying to down you but you need to be rotary savy to get my understanding of the difference between the two. When I finish polish most would leave the finish were it is before I start my finishing step. My last step is purely dedicated to depth, gloss and clarity.

20. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I use the DN method-lol. That is a good rpm to use but heat and the movement of the rotary has a lot to do with the results. I am not a high rpm user, I will use a little pressure not alot before I will go up in rpm. I hardly ever go over 1500, plus the higher rpm the more likely to get hose beautiful holograms.

You have to remember this is a wet polish and needs to be removed wet so having a longer working time I would not agree with. It will work longer yes but that is not the point of the polish. Wet on and wet off.