Lotus Exige Part 1

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Jayplay, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

Customer just bought this Lotus Exige S in chrome orange and wanted it looking its best and opted to have a full swissvax protection detail with Divine.

Dealer kindly washed vehicle before hand so just clayed and then straight to machining. Today's combo was 3m ultrafina finishing pad paired up with Menz 106fa..Few area's required a hit with Menz 3.02 mainly roof and under spoiler which had some bad scratch's.

Polish was spread on a metabo rotary at 600 rpm for a couple of passes, then up to 1200 rpm for 2-3 passes and then bumped up to 1500/1800 to really work the polish and back down to 900 to refine

Few shots before polishing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Doesnt look to bad does it

Took some paint readings
    [​IMG]

ON closer inspection. This a brand new car and had Lotus's usual poor finish. Lots of flat area's, marring, and only minor swirling.I took a number of shots trying to catch the defects but gave up after awhile as no matter what i tried i couldnt get them in the photo's. Believe me they were there..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    you can only just notice the swirling around the light source in middle of pic

Pic's here are off the vehicle just polished..Yet to have cleaner fluid and Divine applied
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:(at this point the sale's guy comes out and says that he forgot to mention:what: to me that the customer has decided to have the vehicle Armour Guarded:badidea: (protective film on front end and lower sills) as its going to be a track car

Sale's guy said to finish it today if i could but as i wanted to make sure the new owner was handed over the car in mint condition i thought it would best to pack me gear up and come back and finish job when they have finished Amour Guarding the car which will be next Wednesday:rollingpin: So no doubt will have to machine some area's again.

thanks for reading guys and will update this when i finish the job

2. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

That car is just sexy :) track car huh...man it's gonna be taking a beating :(

3. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

4. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Sweet car! I normally don't care for the dark rims but on this car it works! Nice job! :thumb: Thanks for the pics! Looking forward to seeing more!

5. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

hot cant wait for it to be fully complete

6. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

7. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

Great work :thumb:, It just sucks that you put in all that work, and they're gonna mess with it. :rollingpin:

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Sweet vehicle, man love the curves this vehicle has :druling: man that's going to be a gorgeous track vehicle...those cars are fast and can handle great..well that's what I've been told :confused: but it looks great :thumb:

Thank you for sharing :thumb: loved all the pictures :thumb:

9. SURFERROSA

SURFERROSA Virgin Detailer

Very nice Jay. I'm growing to like those cars now. Good job.

What clearcoat thickness was the car averaging?

Thanks,

JOHN

10. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

i was having problems getting individual layers on this one as kept getting four "hits/bounces" when should be 3 (notice in photo ptg is in 1 layer mode). Still yet to learn how to use gauge 100% correctly as it can be a bit diffucult too work out

On the area's that i did manage too use the 3layer setting's the clear coat was averaging 55-60 microns on this one.

hope that helps John. How did you get on with the Elise you had booked to do few weeks back??

11. SURFERROSA

SURFERROSA Virgin Detailer

Thanks for your honesty on the new PTG!!!!

Cheers for the info.

The guy with the Elise is in the process of thinking about it. I'm just doing my research about it just in case he decides. Looking back over some old and new related threads etc looking at how others worked on them.

Once again a nice finish on on such an individual colour and car that exudes character.:applause:

12. Nica

Nica Banned

Jayplay I got a question for you, I hope it wasen't asked already but I couldn't see it.

How hard was the clearcoat on this one? I've been curious about there clearcoat for a wile now and haven't found much information about it.

13. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

lotus paint tends to be hard Nica.

14. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

John average clear coat was 45-50 microns. not what i previously posted from memory as just had a look on the software

15. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Proper polishing when it looks like the LSP has already been applied.