Looking to find a spray on wax after washing...

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by dadswrld, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

Hey guys, I wanted to tap your dome and find out your thoughts.

When you offer a basic 'wash & wax' what would you use? Your favorite soap + favorite wax (either paste or liquid) or because it's a basic w&w, you use something that's not time consuming?

Can you wash the car and apply something like eShine Canada: 1Z Einszett Spray Wax (16oz) and still feel like you gave the car (and customer) a fair exterior cleaning?

Do you also recommend that you always clay the car after washing (if it really needs it or has never been done before), if you plan on adding any type of wax, gloss, sealant?

I want to do a w&w without spending a long time waxing by hand. I don't have any DA or rotary's yet. So I'm looking for something with a quick turn around time but will last at least 2 - 3 weeks. Maybe wishful thinking on my part. Let me know anyhow.

These are my ?'s for today!

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Not a pro but I do not like claying unless I am going to do at least a light polish, as you will get some marring. If you do want to use a clay find a clay that will not mar finishes, BH Auto Clay would fit this bill. If you just want a spray wax try Opt spray wax, said to have good reviews, you could also use a spray sealant like Opti-Seal which should not take long at all to apply, no buffing, and gives decent protection (2ish months)

3. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

Chemical Blitz works very well now that I know how to use it properly :p

4. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

A Quick detailer is a synthetic wax that has no damaging effects on the clear coat. It can be applied between your waxes.

Lets say you do a full detail on your car every month where you wax, polish, etc.. Etc. But it rains a week after you've waxed, putting wax on your clear coat in close cycles can be damaging to your clear coat, therefore its good to use synthetic wax on your clear coat which can help keep the shine of the wax that was applied without damaging the clear coat.

Some good Quick Detailers are Meguiar's and Adam's. But I use Turtle Wax's Liquid Ice because it gives that nice glossy, wet-look. It comes in a blue bottle with an applicator pad which you apply just like you would a regular wax, however its easier to apply and comes off easier as well, also you can apply it in the sun so it doesn't dry and leave smudges.

If you're going to put the effort of claying, I wouldn't recommend using a quick detailer. A quick detailer has the ability to hide all the light swirls and such.

What I do when I apply my quick detailer is hand wash the car using Meguiar's Gold Class soap and after drying just apply the liquid ice. Its that easy.

5. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

I was going to suggest a spray sealant as well. CG Blitz or even better, Werkstatt Acylic Jett Trigger. The AJT is so easy to apply, provides an awesome shine, and has good durability. What's better is you do one application, buff it off, let the car sit for twenty minutes, and then do a second layer.

6. billyblooshoes

How were you applying it incorrectly before?

7. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

I was dumb, low on sleep.

I tried to spray on and wipe off without letting it haze. DUMB

Now I mist the panel, spread with a nice MF applicator, let haze and remove with MF. I LOVE it.

8. billyblooshoes

Ah I see. I usually give a foam app a couple sprays and then spread thinly, let it haze, then buff off. Application is soooo easy with the blitz. With the acrylic jett trigger its even better; give the panel a couple sprays, grab a microfiber and spread it around, flip the towel, and then buff right off. And it looks so good too especially if you layer it

9. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

I'll try AJT after my wedding. I have a notepad list of things I wanna order, but 17 days till I'm married!

10. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Please elaborate/explain

11. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I second the CGs Blitz and JW AJT. Both work very well and don't consume a lot of time. The JW AJT will give months of protection if you do two applications. Its so stupid easy to do 2 applications is a breeze. However I can apply a wax or sealant by hand about as quickly as I can do a spray wax/sealant application. As long as you apply thin, then application and removal shouldn't take much longer than doing a spray wax application.

12. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

I have very limited time for detailing so I use OCW for the quick waxes. Easy to use, not that expensive and effective. I do prefer the regular waxing but always short on time.

I'm also considering Aquawax in the future.

Be careful of some streaking. Sometimes I get some streaking.

13. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

DG aquawax!, cheap and super good

14. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

Thanks guys, I will give one of them a try.

You know already that some people (the Non- Car buffs) are not all to keen on what you do when detailing a car. As far as they're concerned, dish washing soap and the sun to dry the car is all that's needed. Wax! What Wax? They know nothing about that either.

So I just wanted to get something down that I can spray and wipe away while drying or shortly after drying the car.

JL - I probably can do a hand wax as well, I'm just concerned on my own time limits. Me spending way too much time trying to perfect everything. I may have to do it and time myself...lol.

Nonetheless, thanks plenty everyone. I will order up something shortly. Payday is tomorrow...Yea!:thumb:

15. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Sealants are generally better for customer cars, as they should generally last longer than a carnauba wax. However, with Collinite 845, different story.

Collinite 845 is cheap (15 bucks for a 16 oz bottle) effortless to apply and remove (you don't need to let it haze or anything), and will give EXCELLENT protection from the elements. Looks are decent too.

I use 845 for my winter wax, as it protects against road salt better. And the durability is just insane. Do a couple coats, and you're good for at least 6 months. It also looks good to the customer when after 3 or more months, the water still beads nicely on the surface.

I also agree with the sealant guys too (AJT and CG Blitz), just figured I would throw 845 out there.

I don't know about solidsnake's suggestions. I don't understand how waxing could hurt your clear coat. Or why you would not claybar a car. Turtle Wax Ice is not good for durability, and has a ton of silicone in it. Dust sticks like crazy as well. The only thing I liked about it was you could use it on black plastic trim. I gave mine away when it was over 90% full.

16. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

OCW
    AJT
    are all good products. cant go wrong with any of them.

I still need to try aquawax though :D

17. pektel

I just bought a new bottle of AW. Stop by a carquest on your way home from work! 8 bucks well spent.

18. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I have to order it from DG. no carquest around me. might order it next week, as I have some other supplies I need.

19. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

When you apply wax, it removes a very thin layer of clear coat from the surface of the car. However, it is replaced by the wax you've applied this causes it to be smoother on the surface and have the ability to repel water and dirt.

By removing that small layer of clear coat, a new layer is exposed and when light hits the surface it has more area to reflect off of because there is no dirt, and dullness of the paint on that surface (given that the paint is in good condition).

Waxing your car too often can dull your paint. If you would like to believe it or not my friend did that to his Mustang where he was so much in love with it he'd wash and wax it every week and now he's begging me to fix it, problem is I haven't perfected my polishing skills.

Its either that or it just works by magic, I don't know but that is what I've been told by a lot of people who've taught me how to detail and wax.

20. pektel

Ah, then I'd get a gallon. Great stuff.

FYI, the auto stores listed on DG's website as stockers of DG stuff are:

carquest, auto value/bumper to bumper, federated auto parts, pronto auto parts, NAPA, auto pride, and parts plus.