looking to buy new DA polisher

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by jikim83, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jikim83

jikim83 Virgin Detailer

hey guys
    Im looking to buy a new DA polisher
    trying to get flex3401 of rupes
    any suggestion plz.

2. JBlack151

JBlack151 Birth of a Detailer

I love the Flex 3401. Been hearing a lot about the Rupes though.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Are you going to be doing your own cars or detailing for cash?

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Griots, pretty happy with mine........ its not always the tool folks, its how its used. LOL

5. 911Fanatic

Did your wife tell you that? LOL

6. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

LOL.......... :giterdone:

7. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

LMAO......^^
    Don't know anything about the Rupes.
    But I've been SUPER HAPPY with my Flex3401. It's gotten me through about a 15+ paint corrections, and hasn't missed a beat!!!

8. kaisernaut

kaisernaut DB Forum Supporter

RUPES all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Harbor Freight :p: Lol I kid I kid

10. jikim83

jikim83 Virgin Detailer

Im doing detailing for cash

11. 911Fanatic

I'd hold off for a few weeks and see how guys like their Rupes. I didn't like my 3401 for one reason. The forced rotation meant it went left to right no problem but you had to fight it a bit to go from right to left. Yes, it cuts well, but a regular DA is easier to handle. I'd stick with the regular DA if the Rupes turns out to be a quality piece.

12. Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I love the Rupes so far, cuts fast and is super smooth, but for smaller areas where you would "edge" the DA the throw is too big on the Rupes to be precise. Therefore you'd need a smaller unit too. IMO.

13. 911Fanatic

Good to know. Maybe an Griots 3".

14. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Been using my porter cable da for over 3 years now and hasn't gone wrong once. It might not be as powerful as the others, but for the money it does the job juuust fine!

15. Mike Murphy

I have the 3" but I only use it for very specific tasks. It don't think it has the power needed to use in larger areas. Plus it's a buzzy little machine. I'd have to say the G110V2 or similar.

16. Mike Murphy

I agree with you Bmer89. The standard DA's work fine, although before the Kevin Brown method and microfiber pads came out I always used a rotary because it was much quicker.

The ability to cut overall time on a detail without giving anything away in terms of quality is why I believe the DA+ KBM became so popular. The Rupes takes this to a whole new level.

17. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Yep! Which is why I ordered the LHR 75 too! It arrives today actually! :)

The Flex is a nice tool but it's definitely not for everyone. I had it for over a year and sold it after Meguiar's came out with the MF system. After using MF pads the Flex sat on my shelf as I was getting equal or better results with traditional DA's. Now with the new Rupes, you can get faster and better correction, without the harsh vibration of traditional DA's or the quirkiness of the Flex. I also found I couldn't finish out as well on some paints with the Flex as I could with traditional DA's or rotary polishers.

18. Mike Murphy

I think I have the same compressor as you do but since I moved to a condo it's just sitting in storage, so whenever I see posts about the LHR 75 I just skip right past them! :whistle: So much for not hearing the compressor run all the time. :p:

19. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

LOL. :D

[​IMG]

20. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works