Looking for advice for price & what to offer

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by XanderNFS, Jul 23, 2010.

1. XanderNFS

XanderNFS Virgin Detailer

I'm just getting into detailing and want to do cars on the side as a hobby. I've been searching on what to offer for prices and most recommended either go by the hour or offer packages. I've decided to offer packages and here is what I've come up with.

*Note: I don't have a PC and will not offer paint correction at the moment*

Basic Hand Wash $30(Car) $40(SUV)
    -Exterior Hand Wash
    -Clean & Dress Tires
    -Compete Interior Vacuum
    -Clean Interior & Exterior Glass

Exterior Only Protection $50(Car) $60 (SUV)
    -Exterior Hand Wash
    -Clay Bar & Wax (of your choice)
    -Clean & Dress Tires Clean

Complete Detail $100(Car) $125(SUV)
    -Exterior Hand Wash
    -Clay Bar & Wax (of your choice)
    -Clean & Dress Tires
    -Compete Interior Vacuum
    -Complete Clean & Dress Dash
    -Leather Clean & Condition (Optional +$10-20)

Again, I do not own a PC and would do it all by hand. I am looking to see if I really want to do this as a constant hobby so I didn't want to jump in and spend the money for a PC. Are my prices too high? Should I offer more or less? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

first off welcome to the world of detailing.

I really would consider raising some of your prices. The hand wash is fine but once you start to bring in the clay bar treatment you really should increase your prices. Look at it from a business perspective. A clay bar will run you roughly $30. If you slice it up into 3 pieces chances are it would be about 1 piece per vehicle depending on how dirty the clay bar gets.

I would say that a DA (Dual Action) buffer is almost a must. Not only will you work much more efficiently but the results will be that much greater. I started off in your situation, doing everything by hand and if i could go back in time with what i know now i would have invested in a DA from the get go.

You can score one for about $100 on these forums or locally or maybe even a used one. Not only is it good for starting out with correction work it also can be used to apply wax in a more even and uniformed fashion and would be a lot quicker then applying it by hand.

Just some food for thought . . . . . . if you have any questions feel free to post them up or PM me and i'll be more then happy to help out where i can.

3. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

I would skip the washes, I take about 2 hrs to wash n vacuum. so $30 for busting my balls for 2 hrs, no thanks!!! takes 1 or 2 hr more to clay n wax and make it $100 now we're talking about profit. so $100 / 4 hrs = $25 per hour $30 / 2 = $15 per hour.

your choice