Looking for a ball park estimate for window tint.

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by artemis53, Nov 14, 2013.

1. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

I am soon going to be purchasing a 2002 focus sedan, and want to get the windows tinted.

I am mainly interested in keeping the car cool, with privacy second.

I do not want to break the bank, but do want a quality, heat insulating film.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand or type of film, and maybe offer recommendations of locations near Los Angeles to go to?

Also, if you are an installer, could you give a rough estimate of what I am looking at spending? My last time tinting a car, I went to a shop in Santa Monica, he used some type of ceramic film, and he offered a lifetime warranty on the film itself, as well as his installation. I was very happy for $200 for 4 doors, back glass and sun strip, but the film did not offer GREAT heat insulation, only minor to medium at best.

I may be willing to spend up to $500 if the film is REALLY worth it, but that would be hard for me to take that kind of hit to the wallet right now, lol!

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Don't do it in seattle lol its $500 here a total joke.

Stokdgs likes this.
  3. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

$350 here. Depends on the installer / car really. Dont cheap out whatever you do, you dont want to be one of those dudes with the bubbling / peeling tint cruising around

4. Jaddie

Jaddie Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Dear Artemis & Friends

When I was searching for quality film two years ago 3M's Crystalline was a top choice. I chose it for our van's two front windows. I had a place called The Tint Guy install it based on rave reviews of the work. There was a bubble in the film when I left the facility, but they assured me the bubble would disappear. It did. Within three days it was gone. I'd rate the installation as a 10 out of 10.

I chose Crystalline 70 (or 30-percent tint). The Tint Guy refers to that level as "clear."

Other than a slight blue tint, Crystalline was a good choice for us.

I believe I paid around $140 for the two windows and two small viewing portals forward of the two windows. This included the film and labor.

—Jaddie

Stokdgs likes this.
  5. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Not at all looking to cheap out, I fully understand the consequences of cheaping out on tint, and I HATE cheap tint.

That is why last time, I was happy to pay $200. His install was perfect, completely immaculate! I took great care of the tint the entire time I had the car. I just wish the actual film he used was a little better at thermal insulation. It helped a good bit with heat, but it was still a black subaru, lol! I opted for a highly recommended location near me that offered a quality ceramic tint, instead of just going to one of the jose or pedro's tint and alarm special for $99 on every corner out here, lol!

That is why this time, I want to do a little bit more research and get something with better thermal insulation.

I was looking mainly for recommendations, if anyone knows, on specific brand or type of film so I can ask for it by name, or if you are in the area, or know the area, maybe a recommendation to a shop, or at least a ball park estimate of what it costs to get quality tint in LA.

I am considering, this time, even getting front glass fully tinted with something for reduced glare and heat, just that I ALWAYS drive wearing polarized glasses, and it will drive me crazy if the tint does that rainbow spots thing you sometimes see with polarized glasses, lol!