Levelling Touch-Up Paint?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by slanguage, Jul 19, 2011.

1. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I did some paint touch-ups to my vehicle. The final layer of paint is a bit higher than the surrounding areas. I wanted to level them before applying the clearcoat.

The only issue I have is, the paint reading are all over the place. Some readings are as low as 70, so I need to be careful as to not wear through the clear/paint in the areas around the touch ups.

I am not looking for these spots to be "brand new", just better looking.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Roger.

2. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I actually did this on my back car. You need to wait until the paint is very dry. I waited 1 week. I got 2500 and 3000 sand paper for automobiles. I used a hole puncher to get small round peices. I glued them onto a new pencil eraser and twirled then on the "blobs" 2500 first, the 3000 next then I used M105, M205 and Menzerma final polish think it was 85rd? (the one that is charcoal grey in color) you can use any 3 step polishes I would guess. It was a really good blend. I used factory touch up paint.

I need to do it again, but the car is a lease and going back in November so I am not sure I want to invest the time into it. By the way I got this process on a forum and it worked well.

3. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

nice idea with the pencil eraser. infinity allows up to $500 in "wear and tear" so I wouldn't put in that much effort on a leased car again.

4. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Agreed. I do it for myself more than for them. I just picked up another car "Garage Queen" so i dont have as much time to mess around the DD.