Let's talk "sweating"

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by MikeyC, Oct 11, 2009.

1. MikeyC

MikeyC Two Bucket System Washer

I've been sort of out of detailing for the last year. I've been busy working, living life, and getting married so I haven't had much time to devote to my car. I'm glad to see in that time though that "high end" waxes have really taken off in terms of popularity especially here at DB. Now I finally have a reasonable size group of people to talk about these waxes with!

Anyway, on to my problem. Over the last ten years I've used various high end nubas on my cars. I've tried most of the Zymol line-up, Souveran, and a few of the Swissvax waxes. It seems 8 out of 10 times I wax my car I experience the phenomenom you guys call "sweating." Basically, I get these smears that look like buffer swirls. I understand thin application and wiping down the car with chilled distilled water help this problem but what I don't understand is why I always experience sweating in the same places on the car.

It never fails. I always see the smears on the lower parts of the sides of the car. I never see them on the bumper, the hood, the roof, etc. Any ideas why I always see them in the same place?

2. MuttGrunt

MuttGrunt Birth of a Detailer

Sweating AKA gassing out usually occurs on dark colored cars when using nuba's - especially those with high nuba content. It has to go with the solvents evaporating. If you have a larger amount of carnauba in your wax, you'll need more solvents. More solvents means there's more to evaporate out.

Usually this happens somewhat slowly, but keep in mind black cars can get 160+ degrees in the sun, which causes this to happen MUCH quicker.

Understand why it happens in general will allow you to better evaluate why its happening to you. If you normally see it only in certain areas, perhaps those places are absorbing more heat, are areas you're applying it thicker, or are the places you're not doing an adequate job removing the wax after it set. The solution is to simply rebuff the area with a mf. Many folks use QD or distilled cold water as well. Additionally, don't put the car directly in the sun for some time after applying a quality nuba unless you're willing to rebuff :)

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I haven't had this problem before. Do you find the sweating hard to buff off or just annoying that you have to do it again?

4. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

MikeyC from s2ki? Man, it's been a long time!!

5. MikeyC

It's just a PITA that I have to re-buff those areas. I can't detail where I live so I have all of my supplies at my parent's house. To rebuff I have to drive over there.

That's me! I told you I've been out detailing for a while. :)

I also started posting a lot less on s2ki when I sold my S2000 two years ago.

6. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

Mike, do you miss your S2K?

I have experienced sweating with Vintage and Best of Show, typically on my hood. The sweating usually appears after the car has been in the sun a little while. Perhaps I just haven't learned yet how to apply the wax thin enough, but it is a pain.

This has raised a question for me: when using these high carnauba waxes, is it best to delay applying a second coat until, say, a week later, in order to allow the first coat to outgas and cure completely?

I have not experienced sweating with either Souveran or Fuzion.

7. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

Do these buffer swirls look like was residue or more like 'darker' spots where the wax has been applied? I've used a number of nuba's and sometimes I need to do a quick wipe down with detail spray to even things out.

8. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Nice to see you back into detailing Mike. I wondered why you werent really posting on s2ki.

Glad to see you made it on here.

9. VooDoo

VooDoo Birth of a Detailer

Are you doing this when its really cold or really hot?

I cant say ive come across the issue but then we dont really have extreme temps here (15-30c range at worst)

10. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I recently came across the issue on my black 350Z when applying Zymol Vintage. The car looked amazing but when I got it out in the sun at a local car show I was shocked to see the streaking from the sweating. I guess I will have to try the chilled distilled water route next time I apply.

11. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Dunno if you remember me, espelirs2k, but you got me in to polishing.. oh.. 3? years ago. With the SSR line, DP Max Wax, etc etc. How things change! Anyways, that's for another thread, sorry for the highjack.

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I put Vintage on a black Pcar a while ago and then pulled it out into the sun. The car hazed over so fast it was ridiculous. Never had it happen with products like P21S, Dodo, Blackfire etc.

13. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Ken...what was your solution? Did you wipe it down with distilled water? The looked amazing but it was kind of annoying with the streaking.

14. MikeyC

Glad to hear it doesn't happen with Dodo. I was thinking of trying some of their waxes now that you can get them on this side of the pond. I have this problem a lot with almost any Zymol and most recently with Swissvax Concourso. I know I mentioned Souveran, but I've not had this issue with that wax.

Basically the marks look like buffer holograms. It's crazy! It's something I've been wrestling with for years. I can't seem to stop it and it always happens in the same spots. QD or even chilled distilled H20 fixes it right up but it's a PITA.

Also, hi to all my old friends from S2KI.com :thumb:

I miss my S2000 during the summer but during the winter the AWD of my G35x is much loved.

15. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Had my first taste of sweating on Saturday on my new 2010 Blue Camry. Oddly enough it was from Collinite 845 so that was something interesting to behold...

Unfortunately I didn't have the normal refridgerated OID in the fridge so no cold water wipedown. Oh well, guess I'll just wait till this weekend to put some Supernatural or Concorso on top of it :)

16. MuttGrunt

MuttGrunt Birth of a Detailer

Good to see you too MikeyC AKA S2ki detailing legend :)

FWIW, I've commonly had this problem with SN if a car was pulled into the sun too soon after waxing

17. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

Sweating with Supernatural is not an uncommon complaint, unfortunately. See, e.g., this Detailing World thread.

18. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I've not had the issue with any of the 4 Dodos I have. Could have been to lower temps perhaps.

19. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

I got rid of my supernatural due to the insane sweating...
    as for Concorso..I have experienced it only once and that was the first time i applied it by hand (rather than foam applicator) ever since then i go super thin and with a foam applicator and nothing yet.

Generally lower panels dont get as much attention paid when wiping, so maybe spend a few extra seconds buffing or wiping that area

20. MikeyC

You're too kind. :worship2:

Looks like trying Supernatural just hit the back burner. :thumb: