Leatherique Question

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Kaban, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Hi guys,

I am just wondering if there are any negative side effects from using the Leatherique twins 2-3 times a year on the same car?

It's my favorite leather system and I hope I will not be over-doing it by using it 2-3 times a year.

Any comments?

2. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

+1 Leatherique is awesome. There shouldn't be any negative side effects from using it multiple times a year.

3. Kaban

Glad to know my friend!

My only regret with Leatherique is that I bought it last Christmas... and only used it for the first time last week. Just sat on the shelves in the basement with all my other products that I haven't touched.

I was so blown away with the results though. All the other leather cleaners and conditioners made me feel like I am wasting my time. Couldn't really see the result.

4. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Yup I agree. Leatherique is one of the only ones out there that really help leave the leather looking "factory" new.

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

If oil is allowed to permeate any micro fissures in the leather or via the stitching it will travel laterally compromising the resin binder system which will delaminate from the hide releasing its adhesive bond. It will then be able to move in a different direction from the hide, which will result in surface fissures and cracking, further compounding the problem eventually leading to the subsequent replacement of the protective covering

Leather is very dynamic with respect to its moisture content; the leather hides needs to be kept supple. The purpose of rehydration is to restore moisture lost through evaporation, so whatever the surface finish, it has to allow the movement of moisture back and forth (evaporation and hydration). The liquoring (fats and oils) that are put into the leather during the tanning process do not dry out of the leather in normal circumstances so therefore do not need replacing.

Modern automotive leather upholstery use a completely different tanning processes and finishing system, utilizing advanced polymers and chemicals and as a consequence they do not need to be treated with aftercare products containing oils

The hides used for automobile upholstery are treated with fat liquor and then sealed at the tannery. The only 'conditioning' required for finished leather upholstery is hydration; oil-based products cannot permeate the finish (urethane pigmentation or covering) that is used in 95% plus of modern automobiles, urethane doesn’t require conditioning or rejuvenation.

Always keep in mind that you’re dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself

6. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

so is leatherique oil or water based?

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Oil-based.

Older (50 and 60’s) automobile upholstery leather and exterior paint was finished with Nitrocellulose lacquer and required oils for it to remain flexible otherwise it would crack. These finishes are what Leatherequi and Connelly Hide Food were formulated for.This is where the ‘feeding’ paint / leather comes from

Automotive OEM technology is becoming more and more complex requiring educated and skilled technicians to work on them. As the materials used are constantly changing we must maintain our knowledge base and utilize the correct products and application methodologies to keep up with emerging technologies.

It is very important to be able to recognise the various finishes and materials used by OEM’s as they all require different methodologies and products for proper care and maintenance.

8. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

so are you saying that leatherique rejuvenator oil is not good for modern leather seats and will lead to cracking?

9. Kaban

Are there any actual account of Leatherique damaging coated leather seats? I have done a lot of research and spoken with a few vendors and no one could recall any account of it cracking, damaging, or doing any type of harm to coated leather seats.

Is this just a theory because there is absolutely zero evidence anywhere about this.

10. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I have used a good deal of the cleaner (which contains some of the oils) and I never had an issue.

As a matter of fact, I'd be much more worried about leaving the leather unprotected than any damage leatherique will do.

I say the above with mad respect for togwt, given it is obvious he reads and does crazy research.

I simply haven't seen any damage on the cars I've used it on (including my own).

11. Kaban

Have you used the rejuvenating oil as well with no bad results? It worked great for me, but I've just started using this stuff so I can't comment on long term effects.

12. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I use the cleaner which contains the rejuvating oil almost weekly on my DD.

I have been on detailing forums for a long while now and I've never read of leatherique having any negative long term effects.

13. Kaban

+1

I would assume Leatherique would have a disclaimer of some sort of this product was harmful for new type leather (and I assume majority of their customers drive newer cars with coated leather).

14. brandon defeo

brandon defeo DB Forum Supporter

Never had a problem to date with the Leatherique duo! Done multiple times on everything from Wallets-Range Rovers- Cadillacs- Bentleys- Ferraris... never a problem in longevity

15. Kaban

I don't know how much this will help other members, but being that I have a Lexus I was able to dig up some good info:

Response directly from Leatherique with regards to Lexus leather where "the topcoat used for Lexus leathers supplied by GST are polyurethane in nature."

"The Rejuvenator will work just fine on your Lexus leather. All the new finishes are a water based product, and the Rejuvenator and Prestine are very compatible. The finish is water proof, not completely sealed, so it will absorb through the finish, and also through the stitch holes and migrate laterally into the fibers of the leather.

Apparently all Lexus leather have the polyurethane coating and it's not an issue for using the Leatherique twins.

They note in their response that the rejuvenator oil enters through the stitch holes and I am assuming perforated leather speeds up the process alot quicker too which would explain why my brother's Lexus seats absorbed almost all of the oil after about 25-30 hours of dwelling.

16. pushtiulk

pushtiulk DB Forum Supporter

I'm using Leatherique since 2009 on every leather interior without any problem. Rejuvinator Oil is a water based product: "PLEASE NOTE that there is NO OIL in the Rejuvinator Oil that name is from the 1960's when people EXPECTED an OIL for their Leather. Hence the name change to LEATHER REJUVINATOR." - this is directly from leatherique website.

IMO, the leatherique system works for any type of leather.

17. Kaban

Thank you for sharing my friend!

That's a beautiful carp you got there! Reminds me.... I gotta hit up the river sometime soon! :)

18. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

[EDIT08.08.11] according to their website, their products are now ( I guess a formulas change) water-based

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

[Although it was named Rejuvenator Oil by founding fathers, Ty Peck and George Pavlisko, Sr., this product actually contains no fillers such as mineral oil or petroleum products as Lexol and other products do. The formula is based on a natural Old Swedish secret and is a complex blend of proteins and collagens that actually restore the tensile strength to the leather.]Leatherequi

The finished leather used in automobiles is removed from a dead animal and then is subjected to a tanning process.

Why would a deceased animal skin (hide) require proteins and collagens, these naturally occurring / regenerating proteins ensure a healthy and elastic dermis and to help to ensure the tendons remain supple.

I have always thought that the more facts and information you have at hand the easier it is to judge what information you are being given. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? In the final analysis; it’s your vehicle, your hard earned money and your choice.

But if you feel $50 and approx 4 hours work is a worthwhile investment of time / money to clean finished leather with a thin urethane pigmented covering, that’s your choice.

20. pushtiulk

pushtiulk DB Forum Supporter

@togwt: now you tell that the leatherique system not worth, but from what i remember, last year or 2 years ago you wrote on this forum that leatherique system is a very good system. the new formula is not a new formula, is the same formula like in '60, but with updated ingredients. you said that why a deceased animal skin requires proteins, etc. if the leather is dry and after the leatherique system applied, the leather is more gently and soft, how do you explain this?

like i said, i'm using leatherique since 2009 and i've used on absolutely every type of leather from the cars i've detailed without any kind of problem. there was same good results every time. if the leather is coated, the rejuvinator will be absorbed but in a little long time that uncoated leather.

if anyone need an official answer directly from george pavlisko, let me know and i'll speak with him to give an official explanation about this.