Leather Masters Strong...?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by billyblooshoes, Aug 23, 2009.

1. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

so i tried the LM strong cleaner for the first time today, and i must say i was NOT impressed. i was working on a 95 Caddy Eldorado, which had cream colored leather seats. i was also using one of the small blue DD Uber dressing apps as a scrubber with the LM. my process was to squeeze some of the LM strong onto the Uber app, then squeze the app til it foamed up and then clean an area. the results were nowhere NEAR what i had expected, given how much everyone says they love this product. i have been using CG Leather Cleaner and 1Z Deep Plastic for some time now as leather cleaners, and have much better results. i did one seat with the LM Strong, and then another with the CG Leather Cleaner, and the seat cleaned with the CG stuff was much better looking. is there a part of the appropriate process for the LM that im missing? i apologize, i have no pics as i forgot my camera today. i was thinking about getting a small spray bottle and transferring the LM Strong into it and using it that way anyways. comments on that? anyone using LM in a spray bottle?

oh and i tried my Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff today at 4:1 and that stuff rocks. very pleased with that product though. :headbang:

2. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

I use it in a old Bath and Body Works foaming bottle (the hand cleaner ones that they have). It seems to work much better that way than sqeezing the uber blue pads. The LM Strong is very good for light to moderate soiling not heavily.
    Yes, the MS SGS does rock. I use it 2:1.

3. billyblooshoes

that sounds like a good idea. ill have to try that out. thanks.

4. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Like has been stated using something that foams it when applied is key... Foaming sprayers also work well.

5. billyblooshoes

so foaming is the key. got it. hopefully this will help. after hearing all the rave reviews about it, and me telling myself "it cant be that great", needless to say today i was more than disappointed.

6. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Shake the bottle so it foams at the top, then squeeze while holding the bottle right side up.

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Since you liked MS SGS, give their Leather and Plastic cleaner a try. It's a powerhouse! No need for special sprayers either, just spray onto a generic MF and go to town. And, you can use it on vinyl and plastic too.

Not the best smelling stuff in the world, but that can be fixed by pouring an ounce of one of their fragrances into your bottle of LPC.

8. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

The guy at Majestic told me to just get Tidal Wave and dilute 4 up to 8 to 1 with water.

9. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

I wish I took a picture of it, but I did a G35 Sedan with seats that were heavily soiled. Worst seats I've ever encountered and it was no match for the Majestic Solutions Leather Plastic Cleaner. Smells like crap but it works

10. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I bet you talked to Sean. He's said the same thing to me before as well. Once I'm out of LPC, I may give it a try, but LPC is so good that I'm kind of hesitant to change.

Yep! I've resurrected some rather awful interiors with that stuff. And it's much cheaper than Leather Master's.

Try pouring an ounce of fragrance in. Seriously, it helps. They insist that it's fragrance is the same as their "leather" fragrance, and I suppose that it is. The leather fragrance by itself is just as bad!

11. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

It was the guy that has the 20" biceps - when he talks - I listens! I really like the Tidal Wave product!

12. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

for leather cleaner - regardless of chemicals, I have found that IMO the key is a good horsehair brush to agitate the dirt.

There is a KEY difference when using a brush to agitate the product. It foams it, and tends to encapsulate the dirt up....

Do one side with a brush and do one side with a applcator...you wil notice one side where the solution will be consoiderably dirtier/cleaner.

13. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

Ok so i have the same issue. Uber Blue (comes with the kit) and i can't get it to foam for the life of me.

the car looks great though (it wasn't in too bad of shape to start)

i'm going to go and find a leather brush locally so i can try it with a brush..

14. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I would have to agree that brush will probably work better than the applicator pad on soiled seats.

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Using Foam to Clean leather surfaces

Foam is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains on leather surfaces (inc Nubuk, brushed aniline suede and perforated leathers). Always pre-test the product on a hidden area.
    The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent materials. Do not allow to dry as it can leave spot marks. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.

These steps may be all you need to clean these surface but if it still appears stained, you can try adding a small amount of white vinegar to a soft washcloth and gently buff the surface.
    Be sure to do your patch test first. For rally stubborn stains; clean the surface with 303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover (do not saturate) it removes oil, grease, ink, berry juice, wine and blood. It contains no soaps, detergents, phosphates, nitrates, caustics, toxic organics, enzymes or volatile organic chemicals (VOC)

16. billyblooshoes

cool thanks guys. i usually use my SV brush in conjunction with leather cleaners, but with the limited amount in the LM strong bottle, i didnt want to use too much. when i use my CG leather cleaner i use more just cause i have gallons of it.

17. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

I finished both cars with the 3 step kit from DD and i must say the leather in the SRT8 is junk. It acted more like vinyl than leather while cleaning it. Now that it is done it looks ok but nothing like the Audi.

I know i should know this but does anyone know if the leather in the door panels really is leather? Or vinyl made to look like leather? (as the entire door skin has a leather look to it. )

thanks!

18. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

I haven't used the LM STRONG on very soiled seats, but it did a nice job on some mildly dirty ones. I really like using the SV brush with this combo. Brush makes a big difference IMO.

19. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

the seats were not what i would call very dirty. the towels did pick up some funk though. i'llbe sure to pickup the brush from DD before the spring cleaning :)