Leather Help!

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by scheerspeed, Mar 19, 2008.

1. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

so im detailing this 2006 BMW M5, and on the interior leather, the owner likes to put on some kind of conditioner or i dont know what that is meant for horse saddles...to make a long story short, it is like the consistency of tire gel, but when you rub it with your hand it gums up and wont come off.

basically i have tried EVERY chemical i have that can be used on leather...CG leather Cleaner, Z9, p21s TAW, Z10, 303 cleaner...you name it...i know leatherique would work, but i dont have any.

right after you clean it it looks perfect, but come back 10 minutes later and it looks like it did before. this stuff keeps coming out of the pores of the leather!

so i dont have time to order anything, im leaving out of town friday morning for a week. my question is, is there any around the house concoction i can mix up to get this stuff out? or anything i can get OTC?

thanks for helping!

2. Joyriide1113

Joyriide1113 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

If its as you describe, you'd need something to sort of heat it up without damaging the leather. I'd reach for a steam cleaner, but you obviously don't have one. I'd be stuck on that one.

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Um..excuse the ignorant question but how can you be certain that Leatherique would have worked on it? I'm just wondering that's all as I haven never used Leatherique.

Also do you think a steamer would have done a better job, see I've been contemplating ordering a teamer my self and the more leather interior I detail the more I want to order the steamer..but I'm still not 100% sold on it just yet :shead: :shead:

4. Hollywood78

Hollywood78 Virgin Detailer

Test and use Zymol. Zymol Leather cleaner first and Leather Treat for feeding afterwards, this is pure collagen ! the ageing of the leather is stopped, the leather is reinforced and restored. There is no better on the market.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

5. Pooter

Pooter Birth of a Detailer

An old household remedy for stripping leather is normal shaving cream, not gel and not menthol. It will strip whatever is on the leather. But like all products that you use for leather, if you try it I would test it on a small spot that is out of site to verify your results.

Again this is an old household remedy so take every precaution necessary. But I do know it will strip the leather clean.

6. richy

richy Guest

When Carlos does leather, I have seen him put his halogens close to the seats to heat them up..maybe that would help you?

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

b) Strong Effect Cleaner - highly efficient for cleaning leather that is very dirty (will also clean ‘blue jean stains) and water based stains of any kind. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc (for regular cleaning use Soft Cleaner)

c) Alternative cleaning solution - use a formula that is used by one of the major tanneries to clean their leather - 3% Woolite®, 10% Isopropyl alcohol and the balance distilled water.

8. scheerspeed

well fminus told me that it would...so i believed him, i just dont have any of it.

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh okay, just wondering that's all. I've never used it my self, but I've been meaning to get it, thanks for sharing.

10. mixxer

mixxer Birth of a Detailer

Leatherique

11. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

NICA stay away from steamers and leather. Especially natural leather. You will see it dilapidate before your eyes.....

Steamers are great for upholstery or cloth interiors.... just not headliners either because it can cause the headliners to sag. (undoes the glue)

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

:thumb:

Steam can also compromise the bonds between the hide, the pigment and the polythene
    (in a word- re upholstery and refinishing may be required

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Hmmm...good tips there FMINUS and togwt, well steamer is put aside for now...pressure washer here I come :cheerl:

14. scheerspeed

all fixed :) delivered the car today, customer was happy :)

15. Pooter

Pooter Birth of a Detailer

How did you fix it scheerspeed? Please share.

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes, I'd like to hear how you fixed it as well...what did you use/do?