Leather Doctor Leather Ink & Dye Stain Removal Kit

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by David Fermani, Aug 1, 2010.

1. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

Leather Doctor Leather Ink & Dye Stain Removal Kit Review

[​IMG]

Leather Doctor's Site:

Leather Cleaning Restoration Forum - Powered by vBulletin

The problem started when a passenger who was wearing a brown colored leather belt sat in the rear seat of my clients Rolls Royce Phantom. This caused the color (dye) from their belt to transfer off the belt and onto the seat cushion of the Rolls. I tried everything possible (Leather Masters/ multiple APCs/Spoil Shield / Hairspray) to remove the dye transfer on the cream colored leather seat. All without any luck! That is until I tried Leather Doctor’s system that is specially created for removing these types of problems. I originally heard great things about this system from another forum member (Greg Nichols) and my client and I thought we’d have nothing to loose at this point. If it didn’t work, we would have been forced to resort to re-coloring the seat, which realistically was pretty frightening to say the least. The instructions were pretty straight forward and broke down treatment in 5 Phases. After discussing options with Roger Koh (the Leather Doctor), he suggested that I start with Phase 2. This is also the phase that Greg Nichols used as well.

Befores:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s how it went:

I applied the LD Prep 7.7 via a foam paint brush onto the whole area where the stain was embedded. This product is somewhat sticky and stays wet for extended periods of time. After about 2 hours of dwell time, I used a Q-Tip to see if any transfer was starting to lift, but it didn’t. At that point I became a little discouraged with this product and a little hesitant in its ability. But, I remembered both Roger & Greg telling me that this product needs a lot of dwell time to do its thing. It basically penetrates the dye transfer, starts suspending it and keeps pulling it off the substrate until it’s totally removed. This product is totally leather safe and cannot create damage to healthy leather.

I then reapplied an additional thin coat of Prep 7.7 and left it alone to do its thing for a total of 9 hours. All the work btw was done inside an air conditioned garage meaning that heat was not required for this product to do its thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came back to check on things and found that the stain was completed dissolved and was gone!!

I then wiped the sticky Prep 7.7 residue away with generic paper towels to inspect. Again stain was gone. I then sprayed LD Cleaner 3.8 to neutralize the Prep 7.7. Wiping with paper towel. This made the leather surface feel squeaky clean, which as the Doctor claims that “the leather is now healthy”.

[​IMG]

After final satisfactory results were obtained, I used LD Leather Scent B which is a rub resistance protector that has an incredible natural leather smell to it.

[​IMG]

Afters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final thoughts: This product is amazingly easy, powerful and is a life saver. I highly recommend it to anyone with grease based ink stains like ballpoint pens, water based ink stains like stamp pad ink, dye transfer stains like blue jeans, ink prints and newsprints. They types of problems can now be corrected with this amazing product.

Just to document that I paid for this product:

[​IMG]

2. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Been waiting for this. Looks like it worked great for you. I bet the owner was thrilled! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, did you ever end up getting any LTT Solutions products?

3. David Fermani

Thanks Dan - It was an emotional roller coaster for my client to say the least. He's the kind of guy that wouldn't want his seat re-colored unless Rolls Royce did it. He was prepared to buy a whole new seat replacement $$$.

Haven't tried LTT yet. They didn't offer a product that could correct this problem. I actually contacted the head person @ Leather Masters NA (they are local to me. ) and they said it would need recoloring.

4. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Very nice David. Did the guy wear his belt on his ass?

5. David Fermani

No, but his teenage daughter did. :waiting2:

6. Nontoxic

Nontoxic Virgin Detailer

Thanks for sharing that very informative post.

7. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

that's an awesome result, i really like threads like this testing products other than waxes and polishes

i had a small pen stain on my white m3 seats, put in by the bmw dealer during a service natch, and would have loved to know about this stuff back then

the stain for me eventually just wore away after a few months with regular washing, and probably with wear too as it was on my seat base

also during summer id have to be extra careful as mosquito/fly poop would put a small yellow stain in the leather, that would wear away in time as well