Leather Conditioners Evaporating

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by D&D Auto Detailing, Jun 15, 2008.

1. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I was reading another thread about leather conditioners and there was some discussion about how they absorb, or don't absorb into leather. It was suggested that they actually just evaporate. I wasn't too sure I believed this, but as I was reading it I thought of a short experiment to test this. Heres what happened....

First, I grabbed a piece of glass and cleaned it with alcohol. Then applied a drop of Pinnacle Leather Conditioner
    [​IMG]

I put my finger in a plastic bag and rubbed the conditioner around for about 20 seconds. By the time I went to take the picture it had already started evaporating.
    [​IMG]

Here it is after sitting for only 1 min. Pretty big difference there.
    [​IMG]

After 2 min.
    [​IMG]

And after 3 min. As you can see its pretty much all gone, but left a VERY faint residue behind.
    [​IMG]

So I tried it again, but this time I used Leather Master's Leather Vital. Again, I cleaned the glass with alcohol. And applied a drop of LM.
    [​IMG]

Spread it around for about 20 sec.
    [​IMG]

After 1 min.
    [​IMG]

After 2 min.
    [​IMG]

After 3 min.
    [​IMG]

After 4 min. As you can see, LM did not evaporate nearly as fast or as much as Pinnacle. I rubbed the remaining residue with my finger still inside the bag and the residue was very sticky.

[​IMG]

As you can see, leather conditioners do evaporate rather quickly. I also think they evaporate MUCH faster when you're using them on actual leather. So there isn't much time for them to absorb into the leather either way. I still wonder why the leather feels softer and usually has a darker appearance after applying a conditioner? Id imagine some of it must get absorbed and the rest really does just evaporate.

Oh, and hopefully this was a good experiment and actually shows something worth while. If not, then dont be too harsh, its 4am. :missy:

2. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Maybe they partially absorb, and partially evaporate. Anyway, thanks for this valuable info.

3. D&D Auto Detailing

I agree. I mean the feel of the leather and the color changes after using a conditioner. So some of it has to be getting absorbed. I assume the amount that is getting absorbed is very little considering how fast the conditioners evaporate and since the leather is coated.

4. sly

sly Birth of a Detailer

Thanks for sharing!!! if the leather absorb, slow evaporate will be better or not?

5. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Wonder what would happen if you put hand cream on the glass and just let it sit. I think it too would evaporate however when you put it on skin (which has pores) it is absorbed. And leather is just that skin so I would think that it does in fact absorb into the leather as long as it is worked in. Now if you just lightly spread it on top and left it like that I would think that much of it would evaporate.

Really good experiment though and I think it shows the need to really work conditioner into the leather to get it to absorb it into the pores so it doesn't just evaporate and thus be just a waste of time and money.

6. D&D Auto Detailing

True, but there isnt a protective coating on your skin covering the pours. Now if we're talking about leather that ISNT coated, then that would be the case.

7. JohnyB

JohnyB Birth of a Detailer

Very interesting. Tnx for shareing!

8. JLs Detailing

But really how long do you think that coating actually lasts with the wear and tear seats see on most daily drivers. I contend that the coating is at the very least deteriorated over time and use. Most leather is not properly cared for either thus lending to the theory that whatever protective coating was there when new is pretty much gone.

9. D&D Auto Detailing

I think it lasts awhile, I mean it depends on the person. But if the coating is gone, then the dye will transfer onto the pad you're using to clean the leather. Similar to how single stage paint transfers to the pad while polishing.

10. JLs Detailing

That makes sense, but if the protective coating is so strong as to keep conditioner from absorbing into it shouldn't leather be so much easier to clean than it is. I mean when you get dirty leather (which should just be a dirty protective coating) it is a bear to clean. I would think that an impermeable coating would wipe clean rather easily.

11. D&D Auto Detailing

Not sure about that. Maybe its possible for stains to get down into or underneath the coating. Similar to how things can etch clear coats. But then you'd think conditioners wouldn't have a problem penetrating the leather. Maybe the coatings just stain easily. Although I think automotive leather is pretty durable considering what they go through.

12. JLs Detailing

True. And still a really good experiment as I would have lost a bet that the conditioner would evaporate.

13. D&D Auto Detailing

Me too. I was very surprised when it started evaporating like it did. Especially the Pinnacle conditioner.

14. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Instead of wasting the LM on the piece of glass you could have used it on my Vette interior for your experiment.:afro:

15. D&D Auto Detailing

Maybe one of these days.

16. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Good test

17. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

woww!! very interesting experiment. does these leather conditioner contain any solvents, petroleum or similar that makes the conditioner dispensable? maybe these are the substance evaporating? in your second experiment, a very thin film of conditioner was left in the glass..maybe that the actual conditioner and all other mixtures are made to evaporate...

just my opinion of course... very interesting stuff there. thanks.

18. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

Interesting...thanks for posting this.

19. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes, very interesting and thank you for sharing your finding :peace:

20. carados

carados Virgin Detailer

I like the experiment, but when using a completely non porus surface most things will evaporate. As far as conditioners go this is what I have found on the lexus being in 2 different enviroments-vegas-new orleans- my car sitting outside for days on end if i conditioned the seats before leaving they still had some subtleness when I get back, but if i dont condition they tend te be stiffer. Now I have just cleaned and conditioned my seats before another trip it will be outside for 10days with no movement in the hot new orleans heat.... I'll let you know what i find when i get back. ...