Leather Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by jlt23, Apr 11, 2010.

1. jlt23

jlt23 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Do you prefer a leather brush or using an apllicator and why? I'm planning on using the LM trio and deciding what I want to use. Thanks

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i tell you what. i use to use like a terry towel or microfiber towel to clean leather with what i thought was good results. i then picked up a swissvax leather brush and man what a night and day difference. leather comes out super clean with a brush!

3. Chineseguy

Chineseguy Birth of a Detailer

Wow, I hate you

I JUST talked myself out of getting the SV brush...I keep telling myself a cheap sponge is just as good...

4. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

never tried a sponge so that might work but try a brush and you will be amazed at what you might be missing. it doesnt have to ve a swissvax . . . . go to walmart and try to find a shoe leather brush. pretty similar.

5. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

I cant clean leather anymore without a brush. I use MS Leather and Plastic Cleaner with a foaming spray head and spray on as I'm brushing to create a really nice foam. You'd be amazed at what comes off seats that you thought were already clean.

6. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

+1, try SV brush, You will love it ...

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Leather Cleaning Tools

• A soft upholstery brush (Swissvax Leather Brush) – http//: www. detailersdomain.com
    • A soft (CCS Euro Foam Applicator) sponge for cleaner application
    • AG Hi Tech Cleaning Pads specially designed to enhance the cleaning power and performance of cleaners on a wide variety of interior surfaces.
    • 100% cotton micro fibre towels (for Aniline leather) (Swisswax)
    • 3M delicate duty scuff pad (White)
    • DI Accessories Terry Cloth Applicator (for polyurethane covered) leather

8. Audi2.7t

Audi2.7t Two Bucket System Washer

I used to use a terry cloth and then got a leather brush and it really is a night and day difference. The brush seems to foam the product well (i use LM trio as well) and really allows the product to "penetrate" the surface of the leather.

That being said, you dont HAVE to get the SWISSVAX leather brush. If you want a cheaper solution, find your local shoe repair store, and i guarentee they will have soft leather brushes for around $4. Thats where i got mine and couldnt be happier (i actually picked up 2 brushes, a small one for tight places and a bigger one for the large surfaces and it ended up being around $10 total. Pretty good deal IMO)

9. Good advice there ^ :hippie:

Hey, you from Pitsburgh....Theres a cat that made a thread yesterday looking for your services. Check it out :deal:

10. Atom Bomb

Atom Bomb Two Bucket System Washer

with the brushes, how do you deal with perforated leather? Wouldn't the bristles catch?

11. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I could never do leather sans steamer again... such a pita...

But with LM strong cleaner I always use a brush....

12. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

my leather is perforated and i have no problems at all with catching. In fact sometimes if little crumbs get stuck in the holes the brush pops them out. I use a fast back and forth motion as im spraying with a foaming sprayer and have never gotten caught or had a problem.

13. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I did a Mazda 3 with pleather seats that were perforated... had milk spilled on the passenger seat and all the perforations were filled milk residue... tried everything to clean it... ended up sitting there with a toothpick punching out each hole lol....

14. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The best way to clean perforated leather is with a foam cleaner - (N-Nubuck / Alcantara® and Perforated leather ) is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains on Nubuck, brushed aniline suede and perforated leathers. Always pre-test the product on a hidden area. This cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner.

15. jlt23

jlt23 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks everyone. Lots of great information.

16. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

i use an old cheap kenco MF for leather wipe downs - the stiff mf fibres do a great job of getting inside the grain with little effort

for a thorough clean i use the swissvax leather brush

the trick is not push on the brush, otherwise the bristles just bends and it doesnt do anything - very light pressure in circular motions with heaps of water/suds

17. advanced detail

advanced detail Two Bucket System Washer

3D also makes a horse hair brush for leather. I think it's like the swisswax one, I use it and it works great.

18. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

what's the preferred method with a steamer? is a weak APC spray down, with a mf over the steamer a crazy idea? then apply the leather treatment after the cleaning?

19. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I put an mf over the brush and just go to town, wipedown the leather after steaming, and apply LM vital and protectant. I bought some boars hair brushes for my steamer, can't wait to try them straight on the leather...