Least favorite part about detailing?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by pektel, Jul 27, 2009.

1. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I believe this has been discussed before, but it's been a while...

We all have that 1 part we like the least about a full detail, so let's hear 'em!

I have 2 parts that I like the least:

Inside glass (front and rear). I swear you have to be a contortionist to properly clean the glass.

Pad washing afterwards. Just time consuming. Wish I could just throw them in the wash and be done with it.

2. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

I dislike doing interiors, but glass specifically.

Engines generally aren't too bad. Maybe masking for polishing, I'm very picky and it all has to be perfectly straight, haha.

3. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

To be perfectly honest, I enjoy doing the interiors :giggle:, I always do it last so it's like the last 10yards in a 5k race for me.

I really dislike cleaning rear wheel wells (namely on a certain VW Jetta :afro:), and also getting all the damn dust off that is produced when polishing and what not. I usually end up having to rewash and that's no fun after a long day with a PC. :thud:

4. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

I hate interiors on any car but mine. Mine is spotless, so it is easy to keep up with. Most people are frikkin slobs and their interiors are just manky! I also agree with everyone else so far, interior glass sucks!

5. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

I hate polishing, lol. I love doing very dirty interiors, just wish I had a person to polish for me. Also hate washing wheel wells.

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

I dislike washing, i.e removing bugs and tar. Love interiors and polishing.

7. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

I hate dressing the interior and then cleaning the windows afterwards. Polishing isn't bad the first couple hours, then it just wears you down...but thats where the money is so I just bum through it

8. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I agree. Polishing is not the greatest after the first 3 hours. Not that I don't like it though, It's just a lot of work for a smaller dude like me, and brandishing a Makita. Until you get to the jeweling stage. I love bringing that shine up. And with all the lubrication, it seems effortless.

9. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Put me in the group that HATES doing interiors. I don't care for any part of the interior detail but especially hate doing glass. I have to agree with Spyral that most folks are just plain slobs in their interior. The most enjoyable details I have done are those that I had my wife's uncle with me to do the interior. He's the best interior guy I know and I didn't have to do a thing to the inside.

10. Mr. Shine

Mr. Shine Birth of a Detailer

I hate hate hate taking wheels off and putting them back on. I like cleaning them, I just hate manhandling them around, mostly large truck tires.

Interior glass, especially two door coupes with that huge back window that NEVER comes clean and is impossible to get to without a boatload of twisting and bending. (Infinity G35-G37, Nissan 350Z)

Lastly, compounding and polishing SUV roofs. You know, the ones with all of those vinyl rub rails between the racks. Taping every single strip. So freaking time consuming!!! :doh:

11. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Polishing. I can do interiors but dont like to do them but just hate polishing. It just takes so long and is just can wear you out. I can wax and apply glaze and sealants and have no issues bc it goes fast and is not repetitive for hours. I just dont like doing the same thing for hrs and hrs, like to mix it up a bit.

12. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

The inside of the rear window is the worst for me. Taping up everything for correction is annoying too. Hmm what else. Once you hit six or more hours or polishing, it gets old. Cleaning up all my supplies at the end of a long day is pretty bad too. I work mobile a lot so I always have to pack alll my stuff back up and load it in my car.

13. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I hate interiors with a passion, I guess after spending all the time I do on the finish that is to be expected. Interiors to me do not seem as rewarding or maybe its because when people drive by a car you detailed they really can't see the interior. My second hated areas would be the back glass on some vehicles and without a doubt the windshield on my vette, what a pain in the ass that thing is.

14. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Hope this counts...
    A car covered in bird poop and cleaning up after it.

15. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Not getting higher class clients...

I'm not too much of a fan of claying and polishing, especially when it doesn't work the way I want it to.

16. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Setting everything up....:shakehead:

That and Filling up the bucket with Suds, knowing that once I start, theres no turning back :thud:

17. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I hate doing interiors. Like Asphalt said, after spending so much time on the exterior, its such a let down to start from a nasty surface again like a dirty interior. Seat tracks, window crevices, and spilled things in cupholders, pesky stains that dont want to come out but you know with time they will so you have to do it haha. cleaning front wheels that have 1/2" of brake dust and the caliper is .0000000000000001 inch from the back of the wheels and you have to move the car back and forth to make sure everything is clean. I really hate waxing wheels to because of the said clearance and it just gets really annoying...so tight and stuff.

18. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

lol..we all pretty much hate interiors. I want Nica to chime in here. He seems to enjoy interiors, but he steam cleans everything..lol

19. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

i hate polishing the roofs and lower parts of the car. especially teh lowered ones...

being 5'6 doesn't help control the rotary on the roofs

20. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I hate doing interior glass. I hate polishing roofs. I am 5'6" as well, and being vertically challenged can be a hassle.
    I don't mind doing interiors though.