Lake County CCs pads VS Hex Logic pads

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by 99monguse, Apr 8, 2013.

1. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

I need to replace my UBER orange foam 5.5" pad, as the velco back melted over the weekend. I was using my Griots 6" DA polisher and the thing ,elted, I can honestly say, I have never seen that before. Anyways, I was thinking over trying another brand, either CCS or Hex Logic, as both seem to have plenty of users. What are your thoughts on the two?

2. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

I don't like CCS personally, and I've never used the HexLogic pads. The only LC pads I use are the H20 pads, which are great. The melting is probably from the GG6 at high speeds, I'm guessing you had it on speed 5 or 6 for a long time, that will and has melted just about any pad out there, given a certain amount of time. Use compressed air to clean and cool the pads, it really helps, and/or slow the speed down to max 5 for prolonged polishing/compounding. Alternately, switch to MF pads with compressed air and get better cut and not worry so much about melting pads (speed 4 for MF pads).

3. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

I used to use my Makita 9227, as of last year I started using the GG6. All the videos I see, all say when removing swirls/marring.lights sratches, to use speed 6, once the polish is spread with 1-2 speed. I was polishing a VW Bug convt, it's not like I was polishing a firetruck or something and I don't push down on my polisher either. . I am just trying to get this figured out...so if I am polishing a panel, say a 2ft by 2ft area, are you saying once I make my 4-6 passes on that panel...I habe to shut it off and let it cool down, then move to the next panel? Is this just aGG6 problem because of the stronger motor VS the PCXP?

4. kodexkustoms

kodexkustoms Virgin Detailer

I've used the LC CCS pads and had terrible luck with them! They had poor cutting abilities and poor finishing out of them.

5. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Micro fiber pads ftw! I personally prefer the LC or Megs MF pads, the LC pads when new have lose material around the edge, so place them on the machine turn speed to 2-3 turn on machine and abrade the edge, putty knife, plastic scrapper, finger nail etc..., the megs pads are fantastic as well and I have not had the shedding problem with them so far.

6. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

The GG6 will definitely heat up pads more than a PC will, at least in my experience. I learned long ago to slow the machine speed down, while slowing down my arm speed at the same time to lessen chance of overheating and melting the pads. The compressed air acts to both clean the pad and to cool it, in between panels or passes, that's why I like it so much. This works for both foam and MF pads. Speed 6 on a GG6 WILL heat up the spindle, and transfer to the backing plate, thus transferring to the back of the pad, so I stick to speed 5 at the most, and speed 4 on a MF pad, and I didn't have overheating issues anymore. Trust me, I've been there and melted a couple dozen pads before I changed my procedure.

7. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

With foam, flat pads will give you the best cut and finish. Some of the other pad may have a better "feel", but flat is where it's at! ;)

Just my $.02

8. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I have melted a few pads with both the GG6 and PCXP, from what I have learned is to slow the machine down a hair, and use MF pads like the Megs and LC. Those two MF pads are low dense foam, the taller foam pads on a DA under pressure contort and move causing friction in the foam itself, like a piece of metal after you bend it back and forth a few times, on a rotary this would not be as much of an issue as the twist/stretch on the foam is in the same direction somewhat continuously, with the DA the movement is sporadic so to speak causing the foam to move in multiple directions. The lower foam has a sorter arc length and less pitch, so there is less heat buildup, also the foams are denser and more resistant to yielding to the pressure. The GG6 is faster than the PCXP, this increase in movement/speed amplifies the strain upon the pad.

Long story short, buy MF pads, use a slightly slower speed most of the time, you can always ramp it up for a pass then back down to finish.

I am not a physicist, I have taken physics and calculus in college, although I am just making a guess as to the reasoning behind this phenomenon.