Lake Country Grout Sponge

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Reflect, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

2. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Hi Reflect, No I haven't tried that that grout sponge. (Yet) Me and Hum-Benz were talking about It. We Like that one the best

3. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I haven't tried it. I'm unlikely to - that's double what I paid for my Lowe's "Pro Line" sponges.

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I noticed that one a couple days ago. I like the relief cuts made into it. So the grit can be pulled away from the surface.

5. scot_w

scot_w Birth of a Detailer

Interesting that this is one of the items on Sale today only (Daily Special) for $4.49 - reg $5.99. I wounder if the views from this thread triggered that?

6. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

DI does daily specials. Reflect probably got the email, like the rest of us last night and asked about it here. Reflect posted at 2:18 am, most likely shortly after he received the email.

7. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I wonder what the durability is like..even 6 isnt bad for a good wash media...im anxious to hear some reviews, and then i might pull the trigger on a couple..i use the Proline GS presently

8. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Theres a review on AG that Brian did.

9. Strs90

Strs90 Birth of a Detailer

The sponge material looks more porous than the material on the Ulti-mit? Does anyone know if this is true?

I love the cleaning ability of my ulti-mit. I've never found a scratch after using it and nothing i've tried cleans as well as it or has lasted as long as it. But i hate the design of the mit. If this sponge is the same material then I would be set for life.

10. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

You must be a detective lol. Yeah exactly what happened. I'm still going to take a ride and try the Proline sponges though.

11. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

12. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

It is a little more porous but it is MUCH better than the ultimit. One thing I hated about the Ultimit was how heavy it felt.

13. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

:D The Proline sponge is good and hard to beat for the price. Someone on Topia tested this and preferred the Proline over the LC.

14. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

Anxious to read it, Ive been eyeing those for awhile. I really like the ulti-mitt that is similar, but the shape and softness of the grout sponge is nice also.

15. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

The LC Grout sponge is now my new favorite wash sponge. One poster mentioned that it was quite thick
    3" X 5" X 7" but once you use it the sponge actually feels quite comfortable to hold. Keep in mind, this is a replacement to my Ulti-Mitt which at first thought was a very nice sponge but it was a lil' awkward to hold and the shape was a lil' unusual as well. However, overall it was still a nice sponge.....if that makes sense. One HUGE difference with this new LC Grout sponge compared to the Ulti-mitt is that it doesn't feel "heavy as a brick" when saturated with water. It is a little more porous than their other sponge which is nice. As well as the dual sided grid cut out to channel the contaminants. Another thing I noticed is that the sponge felt a little rough when dry (typical of a grout sponge)which made me a lil' nervous on paint, but when you dip it in soapy water the surface of the sponge is much softer compared to again the Ulti-mitt.
    Anywho, I would def. recommend this sponge. Heck, you can't go wrong with the $$ either at $5.99.

16. Faber

Faber Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Newbie question.

I'm new to the grout sponges... What are they used for exactly? Will it scratch or marr paint? Difference between grout and sheepskin?

Doe Home Depot carry these? I live in Canada and we don't have lowes.

17. scot_w

scot_w Birth of a Detailer

The real/original use is to remove excess grout or the haze leftover after grouting tile.

As long as it does not have some grime or other material trapped in the sponge (or is dry) it should not.

One is just a sponge (likely synthetic) the other is a sheepskin cover over a sponge or similar material.

HD carries some online (your local results may vary):
    Extra Large Grouting Sponge, 7-1/2 x 5-1/2 x 2 In., Rectangle with Rounded Corners, 1 Pack Bag Model 70005-144 $1.97

Extra Large Grouting Sponge, 7-1/2 x 5-1/2 x 2 In., Rectangle with Rounded Corners, 6 Pack Bag Model 70005-6D $9.99

18. Faber

Faber Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks Scot.

I am just trying to wrap my head around that I can use this safely on my paint.

Why are people using a Grout Sponge versus the traditional Sheepskin mit or Microfiber?

I know a Grout Sponge has the ability to hold a lot of water, but it doesn't have really have a knap to keep dirt from marring the paint.

I see my local HD has it, I may try this.

19. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

Actually, the LC Blue grout sponge has a dual sided grid pattern cut out to channel the contaminates from marring the paint.