Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 Corrected (Lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Darkstar752, May 23, 2011.

1. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Sup guys, this is my first post in a really, really long time. Good to be back :applause2: Gonna keep it short on the text for now, this was a 1.5 step correction as the paint was pretty thin. I'll let the pictures do the talking :) Questions/Comments are always welcome!

Upon arrival, this customer drove 1.5 hours to have me detail it so it was pretty dirty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started with the rims, just a quick clean as they were gonna be replaced in the next month:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bugs got their pre-soak with APC:
    [​IMG]

Car was then foamed, twice:
    [​IMG]

Fresh bar of Riccardo was chosen:
    [​IMG]

Car was pretty contaminated, after 1 panel:
    [​IMG]

Washer jet cover removed to clean under it:
    [​IMG]

Clean:
    [​IMG]

Surgery Prep:
    [​IMG]

Let's see what the paint looks like :doh: Swirl-maina/hologram combo package.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even the dim lightbulb on the side shows significant marring:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First paint reading :doh: :doh: :doh: Avg was in the 90's/low 100's, range from 82-120.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only 50/50's I took, was pressed for time. This was after the first hit of P203, followed up with 106FA but can only see that in the afters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This panel had the deepest scratches/thin paint, got about 85% correction, other panels with more paint I was able to get to 98-100%
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some kind of etching:
    [​IMG]

Etching removed:
    [​IMG]

Once I got around to the back, I noticed the keyhole was COMPLETELY black. WTF? I cleaned a tiny bit as you can see just to check it wasn't supposed to be that way:
    [​IMG]

10 painstaking minutes and many Q-tips later...
    [​IMG]

Polished hard till bout midnight, snapped a pic and hit the hay to wake up early the next morning as I had another client coming mid-day:
    [​IMG]

Started the next morning with the mats, 50/50 of the front ones:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Driver's after extraction:
    [​IMG]

Steamed the entire interior, after pic of the M pedals:
    [​IMG]

Sills before/after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Smoking vents :)
    [​IMG]

Interior after:
    [​IMG]

At this point the 2nd client, visible in the background, showed up so I shuffled the cars around a bit and did an IPA wipedown and pulled it out into the sun to inspect the polishing job up to this point, most of it was done, still a couple areas needed it(roof,bumpers). As you can see, quarterpanels came out close to 100, hood about 90some%. Paint is still naked. :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pulled back in, reflection's back! Wearing a Detailersdomain shirt :applause2:
    [​IMG]

Finished it up, put 2 coats of Powerlock on, 24 hrs apart as I had the car for 3 days. Still needed undercarriage spray, applied later. Final sun pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exhaust tips shining again, insides have some water condensation:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for viewing! Questions/Comments welcome :)

2. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

You did a great job man it looks alot better what did you use to polish out the exhaust, I am guessing some #0000 and some other products...

3. Darkstar752

Thanks man :thumb: Car actually looked better in real life, the color was really hard to capture on camera. For the exhaust, I hit them with Meguiar's wheel brightener during the wash and later followed up with #0000 and some Optimum Metal Polish. Then sealed with Power lock. They took a lot of work as this car had 80,000 miles on it

4. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Man I love that color. Great work on a beauty of a ride

5. Darkstar752

Love the color too, glad I got to work on it, nice break from all of the black cars. Thanks for the compliment!

6. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

Haha I like the vanity plate. Great job on the detail!

7. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

8. Darkstar752

Ha me too. Back license plate is blocked out, but I asked him what it meant since it was weird... "Trouble-Maker" in Polish hahaha. Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks Phil! :)

9. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

10. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Looks good, that is quite a color!

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Amazing work on that M3. and what a lovely color.

But that front plate is absolutely ridiculous. Horrible.

12. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

How many hours of work went in this?