kevin brown method???

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by bimmer nation, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bimmer nation

bimmer nation Birth of a Detailer

hey guys i have been hearing a bnch of hype about the kevin brown method but after searching and searching i still cant find what it is??? Can someone post up the "instructions" or how to use the kevin brown method. Thank you in advance

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

If you watch over Autopia for the next few weeks or so, Kevin will actually post up his writeup on the method for all of us to see. :)

3. bimmer nation

bimmer nation Birth of a Detailer

nice thank you

4. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Buff Daddy

Hi all.

I am very new to this site, but have been eyeballing it more than my posting history shows. Love the color scheme here! Easy on the eyes and rather relaxing. It is a small thing, but definitely noticeable. :worship2:

I am still working on the 'paper'. This paper focuses on the reasons I believe that a specific method works so well for me when applying M105 or M86 with the random-orbital polisher (both liquids in their original formulations were NOT recommended for use with the random-orbital). Originally, it was a one page e-mail that I sent to a friend. Since then, it has slowly evolved to the point that its focus has shifted to include proper use of the random-orbital, and what to do (or avoid doing) with it. There is a lot of interest in its release, which is exciting to me.

Guys such as Billy aka President have been using M105 with the 'method' and achieving superior results versus the more traditional approach to application of this liquid. Billy has been a 100% rotary guy until recently. However, he uses the M105 in a modified application manner with a rotary, too.

Anyway, if it is allowed, I would like to post the information on this site.
    I am not so full of myself that I consider this paper to be the end-all, be-all document. However, I do believe that it may help some members achieve superior results when using R/O polishers with these types of polishing liquids (high grade, non-diminishing abrasive). Specifically, Meguiar's M105/M205/M86/D151. :thumb:

Other than that, I look forward to checking out this site often!

5. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Very cool! Can't wait to read that paper Kevin and welcomed to DB.

6. SBDinATL

SBDinATL Virgin Detailer

Post away! I am excited to read about it because all I have is a PC.

7. GLuXuRy

GLuXuRy Birth of a Detailer

please hurry =)

i been wanting to know the step by step procedure

ive been reading enough to have a general idea .. but still are missing some pieces to the METHOD

8. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Glad you decided to post over here. I don't see why Nica wouldn't let you post the paper. Lookin forward to reading it...got my samples of M105 and M205 waitin!

9. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Welcome to DB > > >

Good to see someone with your knowledge / experience of paint renovation on this board. Like others have said 'looking forward to the paper.

As for how long it's taking to publish, I know first hand how much time and research goes in to articles like this. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience

10. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

sounds great. i will be looking forward to studying your method. now i just need to run out and get some 105/205

11. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

First off welcome to DB, glad you became a member here. I to am excited to read this paper once you post it up.

12. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I can't wait to see what you've done. Welcome aboard!

13. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

sounds great but i LOVE menzerna and the uk 3m stuff to shy away!! esp with the love of my makita..she deserves the best!! at least imo.. but i am really interested to learn this technique you have.. maybe it could help in other area's.

14. richy

richy Guest

i polished out a 9 year old funeral coach today that was tough. i used the kb method (as far as I understand it from the reading i've done so far) with my rotary. basically, what i did was prime the pfw pad with 105 and then apply some to the panel. i used heavy pressure and did an area about 15" by 15". I then lightened up on the pressure after about 10 seconds or so (maybe less) and then misted the area ever so slightly and did it again. i used a speed of 1000 although when i had some bitchin scratches to remove, i bumped it up to 1400 rpm. the 2nd shot with the mist was always done at 1000. it finished to a gorgeous finish...i could not believe that i was using a 12 out of 12 aggressive compound and it was finishing as nice as it was. i then followed it up with 85rd and then dg 501 to cleanse and sealed it with dg. the results were fantastic. 105 will always have a place in my arsenal now.

15. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

welcome to DB KB! Im pretty sure your article will look better here than anywhere else! haha

16. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Awesome to see you here Kevin. We have not spoken before but I have worked with Dave S from Charlotte (weekendwarrior) and he has shown me some great tips that were passed on down from you. So a big thank you for all your help

17. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad you enjoy the colour scheme, I too get the same feeling from the colour scheme, took a bit to get the colours to match so well but with some help of some great friends things turned out great:thumb: I agree, very insignificant in the grand scheme of things but it's shocking the difference it makes....any who glad you enjoy it.

As to being allowed to post your information, by all means please do, that's what forums are for. To share information with the public....the only thing I ask is to keep the advertising/promoting to a minimum that's all....other then that share away :peace:

Look forward on seeing you around and hope you enjoy the forum :peace:

18. Denzil

Denzil Guest

:welcome: to Detailing Bliss KB! :)

19. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Buff Daddy

This is a reasonable request.
    Since the paper focuses on Meguiar's liquids, I referenced other Meguiar's products in the document (mist & wipe, pads, backing plates).

I think it might be wise for me to e-mail you a copy of the write-up prior to posting it here on the forum (once I finish it!). That way, we will both know if it is acceptable. Thanks.

20. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Welcome to DB, I have also tried the kb method with the rotary but i still keep face gumming up issue and unable to increase the polish 'work time'. I believe I have execute the method wrongly somewhere.. Can't wait for your write up...