Just picked up a D40, very excited!

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by m4gician, Jul 26, 2009.

1. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

Hey guys,

I got a GREAT deal on a used D40 (from Best Buy) and it came with the basic 18-55 lens, is this a decent enough camera for photographing of swirls and paint finish?

Any tips on how to do use this camera from a detailing point of view? Manual lens mode with manual photo mode?

Or can I use Auto mode with manual lens mode? I picked up a tripod as well so hopefully that helps, I just finished watching the Digitutor on Nikon's website and it gave me a GREAT overview of the features at hand, I'll keep reading on how to use this for detailing.

2. Bunky

Bunky Guest

The D40 can do as well as any camera. The key with swirls is just learning how to get the exposure to show. Swirls not likely showing in auto mode so you will need to use the exposure compensation to intentionally over expose at times to get swirls to show them clearly. Also, the bracketing function is nice to have pics over and under exposed so you have a good shot at getting a decent pic if you want to be sure.

The key is just learn how the camera thinks (what is it focusing on, what is it metering to determine exposure) and know how to compensate for it. Your job is composition, decide the metering (like spot in backlight situations vs matrix) and watching the depth of field.

DSLR's have a smaller depth of field by their nature so you will have to stop down more to get more things in focus than with many point and shoots. That can be a good thing.

3. Nica

Nica Banned

That's one heck of a camera, congrats :aplause: That's plenty of camera for photographing just about anything, from fast moving objects to standing still cars :thumb:

There is lots to learn about photography but take your time and enjoy the photography ride. Like detailing photography may seem complex but in reality it's really not that bad, just takes one time and trial and error.

4. m4gician

I just adjusted the settins using "A" apatuer priority mode, and I think this is a great mode to use for closeup of certain sections of the cars.

5. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

Congrats on the camera! I use the same one, not sure what lense I use though. It works great for me capturing swirls on auto, I honestly havent tried adjusting the settings though.

6. m4gician

Thanks that helps a ton!

7. richy

richy Guest

Aaron..good for you! I didn't know Best Buy sold them used..I may have to check that out myself!

8. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

i've found it best to underexpose when you want the swirls to show

not the best example, but this is the only way i've gotten it to work so far

[​IMG]

9. Chris_

Chris_ Virgin Detailer

Great camera, I got the same one a few years back and the money I saved I spent on a nikon 18-200 VR lens.

The camera is capable of some pretty good shots if the operator sets it up right. I do fond they tend to focus on the reflection of the panel so use the manual focus to focus on the panel and it'll be okay even in AUTO mode.

Here a few pics showing swirls taken with my D40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not swirls but defects, you can even see the filemarks under the paint.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

chris

10. CleanE60

CleanE60 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

congrats! its been a couple of months now how do you like it? I didn't know that BB sells used cameras either!

11. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

congrats on the camera, youll love it.

Ya i find using an SLR with manual focus is MUCH easier to photograph swirls.

12. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Congrats!! Nice buy!!

13. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

i encouraged my brother to get that d40 about a year ago..that thing was definetly a bang for buck...he got the 18-200vr and its pretty much a walk-around lense/camera that gets everythign you need for travel.