Just got a D40!

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by kustomizingkid, Jan 19, 2010.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

So after not having a camera for 6 months I bought a cheap point and shoot... then a month later dropped it and broke it... so then I was looking around and stumbled on a hell of a deal for a D40... so I jumped...

I just got the body, no lenses... so now I am faced with the tough choice of what lens(es) to buy :D

For now one all around lens would be great... I also would like to get a semi wide lens for shooting interiors... but that will come later.

So give me your suggestion and I will keep on reading... yay another expensive hobby :D

2. Cooter

Cooter Guest

LOL Yeah, another expensive hobby. Unless you like buying $300 and $400 waxes, you better get ready!!!!

Congrats on the new camera!!!!!!

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Look for the lens that came with the camera. Lots of guys upgrade ( like me ) and sell them on eBay dirt cheap. Its a good all around lens and won't break the bank. After that, $$$$$$$$$! LOL My Nikkor 16-85 was around $800CDN. Great for shooting in small areas.

4. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

choose wisely the D40 doesn't ahve a built in auto focus motor for lens' .
    so if you dont buy a lens with it's own motor then you'll have manual focus.

from DPreview

"Perhaps the biggest negative on the D40 is that it doesn't have an internal focus drive motor and hence no mechanical focus drive pin, instead it only has CPU contacts which means it can only Auto Focus with AF-S and AF-I lenses (those with built-in focus motors). Indeed our 'standard' lens the Nikkor 50 mm F1.8D (and the F1.4D) are manual focus only on the D40. The images below show the difference between the mount on the D40 and D80, the D80 has a mechanical focus drive pin at about the 7 o'clock position. "

5. MuttGrunt

MuttGrunt Birth of a Detailer

^ great info... I know who I'm going to contact with camera questions :D

congrat's on the pick-up. I'm still learning more and more photography skills. Truly makes a big difference in how you can document write-ups for sure

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Exciting stuff, nice one! Let's see some pics!!!

7. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I'm aware of the lack of internal focus motor... no biggie...

Been doing a ton of reading on Ken Rockwell's site... holy crap is there a lot of info on it...

No pics until I get a lens... I can take camera phone pics of the camera itself :D

8. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

i honestly thought that you were going to do this

9. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

congrats brandon! I agree with cooter. This new hobby gets expensive quick. Much more than detailing.

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

SHHHHHHH.... I'm too poor for another spendy hobby... luckily the D40 didn't cost me much at all... but that being said the body is the cheap part... Invest money in lenses...

11. Tech

Tech Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have an D40 and a D90.

Get an SB400 and the 50mm 1.8 prime.

Your car photos will jump from an 8 to a 10.

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

That lens will work with my D60 as well won't it?

13. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I'm guessing (hoping) that lens will auto focus on the D40?

I could google it lol... man I'm lazy sometimes :D

I'm off to send in my messed up point and shoot to Nikon for hopeful repair under warranty!

14. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I believe the 18 to 55 lens (non VR) was the kit lens for the D40. I would get a 18-70 VR lens (was standard on D70s) if you want a starter lens. I think a good all around lens is the 18-105 VR that comes with the D90.

15. Cooter

Cooter Guest

The VR is very nice to have. You will like the VR as opposed to not having it.

16. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

the 18-105 VR that came with the D90 was great i loved it. not too big and heavy , not too slow.

17. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

18. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Well that lense won't AF with the D40 as far as I can figure out...

19. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

get something in range of 16-17mm to 50-70mm in 35mm standard.
    i got 18-250 for my pentax and it was fun for a while but then i realized i didnt needed that much of a zoom. so then i took 16-50mm from my dad with ultrasonic motor and never looked back. pretty wide and zoom is ok as well

20. mongrelcat

mongrelcat Any Rag Vehicle Washer