Just a little air wetsanding and cleaning up a few

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by gmblack3, May 21, 2008.

1. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

I have spent the last 2 days over at my good friends shop. He wants to take 5-6 cars to a show this coming w/e.

Bret was kind enough to come hang out today and give me a hand.

We both will be back over there tomorrow for another full day.

1970 Caddy eldo.

Very hard clear on this boat. I worked on the right rear fender for 1 hour w/ 3M ECC with both purple foamed wool and edge yellow wool just to get the RIDS out. 6x to get everything out. :yikes: That was yesterday so today I brought the air sanders. :worship2:

Wetsanded with the airvantage air sander w/ abralon 2k then 4k followed by SIP with Megs yellow foam:

[​IMG]

The gloss is really coming out nice:

[​IMG]

I still am learning to use the air sanders, they are very easy to use compared to compounding with a rotary. You do not get as tired at all. I just need to improve on my efficiency, but that will come with time.

I am thinking a UF final polish, wash and then some Z2pro.

1936 Cord:

ONR wash yesterday as the battery was dead:

[​IMG]

Not enough time to give this one a proper polishing, so needed something that would fill some of the defects.

Today I applied:
    Lusso RC
    Lusso wax

Owner got the battery charged and took it out.

[​IMG]

72 vette got the same as the Cord to hide some of the defects:

[​IMG]
    Tires and wheels on both will be washed tomorrow. Along with plenty more still to do.

The mustang was supposed to be a full polish, but looks like that will wait for another day.

Will update when we are done.

Thanks for looking! :gidiup:

2. Nica

Nica Banned

Nice vehicles :thumb:

The 50/50 picture looks great :thumb: you can really see the difference but sounds like it has quite the clear coat....I wonder how much clera coat you removed :thinking:. Sounds aggresive but something tells me you didn't remove as much clear coat as I imagine....any who thank you for sharing, the vehicles look great.

I look forward to some pictures of the car show :thumb:

3. gmblack3

Carlos, I think it one area I had 168 and right next to it when I wetsanded it was 166-167. Sometimes its hard to get consistant readings. I am willing to bet that I removed less with the air sanders then I did with the 6x of wool compounding.

I won't be able to make the show as I will be working my fulltime job. :(

4. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: yes it is hard to get consistant readings and I agree with you wet sanding isn't as aggresive as it sounds. Well at least that's what I've noticed :shrug:

Hey gmblack3, sorry but maybe I missed it were you able to finish LSP with the wool pads...or are you finishing it up tomorrow? Sorry I think I miss read this.

5. gmblack3

I actually used SIP/megs yellow solo foam in these pics after the wetsanding. On the hood (half done as of right now) I switched to presta 1500 and green edge wool. Bret and I agreed that the gloss level was higher then the SIP/yellow foam. Either way I would and will finish with Ultrafina.

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

That just looks like a room full of fun with the sander-lol. Can't wait for some future pictures of all the cars when you are done.

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

This is the same car featured on Pinnacle bottles!
    [​IMG]

8. richy

richy Guest

Wow..what a great (and ecclectic) collection of cars. I love the Cord!! That's a colour you will often find on one too.

9. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

What are your thoughts on teh sanders so far?

I want to see them in action!!!!

10. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

Can't wait to see the final results of your work Bryan, looking great so far.:thumb:

11. gmblack3

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Phil, I was still getting some slight pigtails at times with the abralon 4k. I tried increasing the speed with the "dial" on the sander, changing pressure, ect. I was running 90psi into the tool. For a while I had no pigtails, then the next panel I would have them again.

So I called a local body shop supply place near my friends shop, they delivered some trizact 3k discs. WOW they are expensive, $70 for 15 and that was discount from the $90 list price. Then I realized that the trizact has the hook and loop reversed so you have to buy the 3M BP and interface pad. Drove to another place when we went out for lunch, $30 for the BP and $11 for the interface. No discounts at this place, no time to drive to the other place. So now I am up to $110 for the 3M setup and that is just with 3k discs. :thud:

I am here to tell you that the trizact is worth every penny. I did not get any pigtails at all. I polished out with presta 1500 and a edge green wool pad. You should see the gloss. :headbang: Of course I followed with UF and a 3M blue foam pad.

Not that the gloss is bad with the 4k abralon, but the 3K took out the defects and provided an excellent gloss all in one sanding step.

12. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

So 3m > Abralon eh? :thinking:
    Thats actually what my Airvantage dealer told me, he also said the 5inch was the best.

hm.... so what are you going to do w the Abralons? :shead:

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Good info there gmblack3, really good info :thumb:

If you don't mind me asking..um...got any pictures of the goodies...I'd love to see the items...I've been looking at getting some sanders too.

14. gmblack3

IMO so far I would say 3M>abralon. I never had any issues with the 2k abralon so they will get used sooner or later. Also did not have any issues with the 3" 2k/4k abralon.

Here they are.

[​IMG]

15. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

VERY COOL 36 Cord...

Great work as ALWAYS Bryan!!

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Ah yes, sorry I remember now, thank you for sharing