January 2008 Entry - Red van....

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by vxrmarc, Jan 28, 2008.

1. vxrmarc

vxrmarc Two Bucket System Washer

Now i have chosen thi detail for my entry simply because it was good fun...Its not the greatest or fastest car but it just shows me that if its somebodys pride and joy you can still work your magic and make it what they really want it to look like so they can look after it with a smile on their face..

The van...My very good friend called me and said Marc fancy having a go on my van , is slightly off colour but looks ok,, oh dear not so when i turned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wheels were horrendous and needed a lot of work on..I spent 45 minutes doing the wheels alone...

[​IMG]

using megs wheel brightener and swissvax brush

[​IMG]

then internals using drumsticks all sizes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

before spraying off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the wheels were finished i also noticed how the drivers side panel had faded lines running down the side??

[​IMG]

Next was the snowfoam but the paintfelt so dry and rough that i doubted that the snowfoam would even budge...

[​IMG]

and after a few minutes...

[​IMG]

Not much happening so i sprayed the car off and washed using chem guys maxi suds II and then washed off...no ro today as didnt bring any but i dont think it would have been advantageous anyway..

[​IMG]

Next the car was clayed....the paintwork was the weirdest i have ever worked on and the surface felt like it had been stripped of all its oils and was just like raw porcelain.....very bizarre!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

claybar after a panel

[​IMG]

The bottom panel was the only panel that had some life in it?? The rest was just so faded...The stripping was evident more now it had been clayed...

[​IMG]

The car was then last touched

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and dryed...

[​IMG]

I then decided to do a test panel as there were some deep scratches on the side where chris had pointed out some kids had written rude words down the panel in the snow and they were still evident in the paintwork...

I used a sonus fx2 pad and 3m perfect it III yellow top and menz ip with a megs polish pad for the scratched areas with small working on them..

[​IMG]

I was quite pleased with the result this was giving

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so started to work my way along the van...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the colour change was quite amazing and i think it was bringing the van back to life..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When that side was done i decided to do the roof and started on a small section at the front (and no its not nessie!!)

[​IMG]

and worked my way along one half

[​IMG]

my pads were not happy as when i hit the rubber seal along the windscreen a load of black oily substance shot out and spewed everywhere from under the tape...

[​IMG]

Half the roof was now complete

[​IMG]

I was then inspecting the passenger side now the sun had moved

[​IMG]

when i saw this pull up opposite... Unfortunatly it threw me and i stopped working on the detail and went over with my camera to see the owner...

[​IMG]

the car was a mkIII 1975 royal blue cortina estate in perfect condition...

The owner David had purchased the car 31 years ago a year old and had treasured it from then....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We chatted for ages and he asked me advice on the car and was desperate to go and get something for it so i suggested megs stage 1,2 and 3 from halfords as a quick solution it was all i could think of at the time and he drove off....

I went back to the van and continued...

I then started on the worse side once the roof was finished

[​IMG]

Once the whole car was finished i changed to a megs finishing pad and 3m again for all bumper areas..
    I then went over the whole car again using menz final finish and 3m waffle pad for extra gloss...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pads and cloths

[​IMG]

Next i jetsealed all the wheels

[​IMG]

and the whole car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

before buffing all off after 20 minutes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE RESULTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i couldnt leave without popping over to see how David was getting on with the megs and his wife popped out aswell and he was really impressed with the megs and how it had darkened the paintwork up and revived the colour...I obviously couldnt leave so i joined in....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i could have stayed all night but it was 6 o clock by now and i had to go plus the white cloths were considerably blue and i presume the paint on this was like butter and a finishing pad and final finish would probably deswirl it .......anyway

THE RESULT

[​IMG]

Fantastic i reckon and what a beautiful classic..

2. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

great work and write up as always Marc. Havent seen you on DW in awhile. Hope you are keeping ok

3. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Great turn around... 1st words out of my mouth when I saw the afters were "Son of a biatch"...

:pimp:

4. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

:thumb: You always know its going to be a fun detail when there are cobwebs!!! Great Job, the turnaround was amazing. The rims were horrendous. I probably would've taken them off to clean them. Great Job they came out nice and shiny. The paint restoration was wonderful as well. You brought the red back to life. Nice Depth and Reflection. The ford look nice as well. lol, you couldn't help yourself, had to join in.:thumb: Great Job!!! Good Luck!!!!

5. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

What a transformation. Amazing how you brought the red paint back to life. Excellent job.

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I really wish I could get my hands on a faded red vehicle like that, astonishing transformation!

7. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Very nice work! I love faded reds :p

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

You are doing some fantasric work out there, vxrmarc! That red looks stunning!!!

9. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Awesome job, great detail pics........Super looking red van....Sweet old ford, you are right it's in great shape...... :applause2:

10. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Outstanding work! Heck of a turnaround on that nasty paint. Those rims were awful, but they look sharp now. The trimwork has life again! What did you use? Did I miss the product?

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Very nice detail there Marc and great results, vehicle looks like new :applause2:

Thank you for sharing and good luck on the competition :thumb:

12. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

Sh!t, we're all gonna have to step up our game with Marc entering details like this!!!

13. vxrmarc

vxrmarc Two Bucket System Washer

Wheels tried with megs apc but to no avail so swithced to wheel brightener diluted 10:1

And thankyou for the kind comments.....All the entries this month are superb i think.

14. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

awesome marc looks great!!! what a strange looking van..great turn around

15. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

16. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Nice nice work there! I really like the Wheel Brightener too! Works awesome on exhaust pipes!

17. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Holy Cow!!!!!!!

18. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

great finish..your pads turned red..was that the paint?