Its that time again :)

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by RekeHavoc, Dec 12, 2012.

1. RekeHavoc

RekeHavoc Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Well its been about 5 months since i last clayed and waxed my car (Powerlock Menz. and Auto Glym HD). Still getting great water beeding with each wash and it continues to amaze me really :)

Im soon going to be adding more protection and this time i dont think i will be using autoglym HD, as Powerlock alone does an amazing job of leaving my pearl white paint looking wet. I might just do 2-3 layers of powerlock.

My question is how do i go about doing this? Do i strip all the old protection off with some dish soap and clay it afterwards or do i simply wash my car and go ahead and add a few more layers of PL? Ive heard different stories and a ton of suggestions but what better place to ask and set things straight than in here :)

All advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. Holden

Holden DB Forum Supporter

Try this

Depending whats at your disposal, I would wash with about 5 oz of citrus based shampoo (chemical guys comes to mind) OR add some all purpose cleaner into a foam cannon with your soap of choice. Via 2 bucket method, wash with dawn mixed in with little bit of soap of your choice.

The clay process should strip the remaining lsp after doing one or a combination of the above. (Especially after 5 months since application of lsp)

From here if you want to ensure that the surface is completely clean and free of your lsp, some do an IPA wipedown OR what I personally do (if not polishing) use a paintwork cleanser like prima amigo (which is a perfect base for powerlock). Depending on paint hardness, I use an uber green or blue pad and apply with DA (but you can use by hand). This stuff fills, corrects a tad, and preps the paint to ensure the synthetic sealant of your choice bonds properly. As for layering powerlock, there isn't a definitive answer as to how long you should wait before reapplying another layer. Some say 45 min, 3 hours, or 12 hours. I would just put one layer and the following week when I wash, apply the other layer to ensure proper bonding.

3. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Or you could get a paint cleaner and that will strip the paint of any and all wax such as Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion. Once you top the Power Lock with wax you can no longer layer it as a sealant does not bond to wax but wax can bond to the sealant.

Just strip it all off and start from fresh. Wash, Clay, Polish if need be or simply us a paint cleaner and then top with your choice of protection and sit back and be amazed LoL.

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

As mentioned, after 5 months there probably won't be much left in the way of protection so wash, clay and use a paintwork cleanser like Werkstat Acrylic Prime to cleanse the paint and lay down a base layer of sealant and top with layers of Powerlock, 8 hours between each.

5. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

For stuff that you just have at home:

1.) Wash the car with car wash soap.
    2.) Clay if you want to. Claying isn't necessary after only 5 months.
    3.) Mix 91% IPA Alcohol 50/50 with water and use it like a quick detailer. You may want to spray and wipe each panel 2-3 times to ensure any remaining protection is gone.
    4.) Apply the sealant and buff off, apply the sealant and buff off. Two coats is more than enough but be sure to give the sealant the appropriate cure time between coats.

The best way, in your case, is to skip steps two and three and instead use a paintwork cleanser by hand, such as P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or Werkstat Prime or any other paintwork cleanser out there. That will clean up previous protection, gives the paint a light polish and nice gloss, and will provide a good foundation for the sealant.

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

WOW, my town neighbor! Your best best for removing LSP WITHOUT polishing would be foam/wash with APC/Power Clean mix, then use 91% IPA Alcohol 50/50 mix to remove any remaining LSP...
    That should give you squeeking clean surface to get maxiumum sealant bonding, your choice on the number of coats...