Is toyota and Scion White Paint Single Stage?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by racersky, Nov 26, 2009.

1. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

I was wondering if anyone knew if toyotas and Scion's white paint is single stage or not. I took some readings with the PTG around the car and I kept getting numbers between 60-80 um which is getting me a little bit worried.

2. GDAL

GDAL Guest

All the toyotas in my family have readings of 90-94 microns ... and the readings were pretty consistent.

3. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

I've read before on other forums and possibly mentioned here that toyota's and other makes like Hyundai normally have thin paint. Usually on the economy cars.

What kind of car is it?

Seems for cheaper cars, they have to cut costs somewhere.
    It came to mind cuz I was at a subaru dealership for servicing and looking at the paint. There was Orange peel throughout the whole car.

4. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

white scion TC

its possible that there is no clear coat, toyotas way to save money. honda seems to be doing same thing on their white cars.

5. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

no, i have one, and it's not single stage for sure

6. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Idk about Toyota paint being thin, I have had 2 toyotas and the paint readings were around 130-140. However my ex's 2000 white corolla was very thin, around 60-80 as mentioned, but i never noticed any paint coming off when buffing.

7. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

^^^ well what color polish you used? could it been that i was coming off but you didnt notice if polish color was white?

8. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

I have a white 09 XB and it's not SS. I've polished the hood and no paint transfer, I don't know the thickness of the paint though

9. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

I don't under what's with the low paint thickness readings than.

10. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

That was a long time ago but usually 106 was my go to polish back then. this was before 203 came out and took its place.

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Jerry, what year is the tC?

12. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

Used PB SSr2.5 and then some PB Pro Polish and no black paint on the pads.
    Mine is an 09 RAV4.

13. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

It's a 2007

14. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

my 2007 white scion tc is definitely not single stage. you are safe in polishing it. i'm about to use m105/205 on it