Is pre-wax cleanser necessary?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by milabfocker, Dec 18, 2008.

1. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

Do you guys feel a pre-wax cleanser such as Z***l HD Cleanse adds anything in terms of looks following quality paint correction? How about durability? I realize pre-wax cleansers effectively remove residual polishing oils, etc; however, I accomplish a wash with Hi-Temp Prep Wash after correction so I'm not concerned with this specific benefit. Please let me know what you guys think.

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I believe the point behind most prewax cleansers is to make sure the paint is as clean as possible to promote adhesion of the LSP, thus increasing durability. My experience is that pre wax cleaners do add a little gloss but i don't think that was the point behind them. Just my 2 cents.

3. TheJag

TheJag Birth of a Detailer

necessary? no, helpful for the bonding process and extending the life of your wax? yes

4. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I should invest in some pre-wax cleaner soon. Can anyone suggest their favorite(at a cheap-decent price)?

5. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

For someone who isn't going to use a sealant, then it could help wax bonding. I just don't see a lot of benefit in using it when you plan on using a sealant then a wax. I have tried pre-wax cleaner then using Jetseal109 followed by wax. I also did a few panels with no prewax cleaner. I couldn't really tell a difference in the look. Durability was unchanged.

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

When using Menz polishes its a must (also benificial when using other polishes)

Prep Wash is a water-based paint cleaner designed to remove all traces of silicone, oil, and buffing residue from any exterior surface. Residues from these formulas accumulate in crevices, around handles, wiper arms, on trim, luggage racks, and aerodynamics. Hi-Temp's Prep Wash flows into these hard-to-reach areas and dissolves the build-up.

It is used before polishing / levelling applications to remove silicone that will negatively affect the polish. When used after polishing it will remove any residue (oils, wax, etc) it also prepares the surface for the proper bonding of waxes, glazes and paint sealants. If this is not done properly, waxes may not bond, which will cause heavy streaking. Mist a micro fibre towel and wipe over the surface, wipe dry with a clean micro fibre towel.

7. 911Fanatic

Has anyone used Prep Wash and Top Inspection? I'd like to know if there is a difference.

8. 911Fanatic

If you are using a sealant, try Werkstat Acrylic Prime and if its a wax try Werkstat Carnauba Prime or P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

9. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

Hi-Temp Prep Wash can be used in lieu of conventional car wash soap in conjunction with your normal wash routine to effectively remove silicone, oil, etc (I add 1 oz per gallon to my wash bucket). I haven't used Top Inspection so I can't comment on any comparison amongst the two products; however, Prep Wash does work pretty well. Hi-Temp is based in Omaha where I reside so let me know if you need anything from them.

10. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I'm in the (probably small) camp who is skeptical that these pre-wax cleansers actually do anything useful. I do use them on my own car - I'm currently using Dodo Lime Prime Lite - but if there's a difference in the way the car looks, I can't see it.

Specific to HD-Cleanse, I can tell you for sure there's one thing it adds. A whole lot of misery to your detail! I hate that stuff - and I've still got some of it. It's very difficult to completely remove from a car.

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I always use a paint cleaner after a wash,then wax the vehicle if there is no polishing required.

12. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Ive also heard of people having trouble polishing cars after using that stuff.

13. virtual

virtual DB Pro Supporter

I like to wipe the whole car with 3m general purpose adhesive cleaner, followed by Chemical Guys Vertua Bond, or Lime Prime Lite.. Works great for me :)

14. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I can imagine! It almost has the consistency of glue once it's dry. And, it definitely leaves some of itself behind after removal. Using a QD helps with removal, but it's still a chore.

This is where the notion of pre-wax cleansers falls apart in my mind. If the end goal is to remove them completely - and they're usually non-abrasive, so they don't offer anything in the way of correction ability - how do they possibly do anything useful?

I'm speaking in terms of applying them by hand, of course. I suppose if you apply them via machine - which is what I do with Dodo LPL - then a small amount of jewelling is available.

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

A paint cleaner that contains abrasives uses friction abrasion to clean (Zymol HD-Cleanse)

A paint cleaner that contain no abrasives uses chemical solvents to clean the surface (Hi-Temp Prep Wash)

16. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I guess they are supposed to make the wax bond to the paint better.

17. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Tog, according to the back of the bottle, that's not quite true. Here's what it says:

"ZYMOL HD-CLEANSE is a non-abrasive, essential oil paint cleaner that releases trapped dirt, impurities and dead paint resulting in the restoration of original paint."

The way that reads, it's almost as if it's intended to perform a similar function to clay.

So at the moment, I'm standing by my assertion that it's not necessary. If you've already washed, clayed, and polished a vehicle - and possibly washed it again after that - how much more clean is it really going to get?

18. heatgain

heatgain Guest

Actually, clay IS abrasive. That's how it works.
    But non-abrasive is a strange term in detailing anyway. I saw a product, a Meg's something, that said "non-abrasive." Then when the Meg's rep talked about it, he said it had abrasives in it, but was non-abrasive in the sense that it wouldn't scratch.
    I'm stumped. Thought I knew English.
    Depends what the meaning of "is" is. :)

19. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

That's not what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the description on the back of the bottle of HD Cleanse sounded like it was describing a function similar to that of clay - removal of contaminants.

20. heatgain

heatgain Guest

I need to clean my reading glasses.