Is MF disks the way to go for me?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by WashingJosh, Aug 12, 2013.

1. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

Hey everybody, haven't posted in a while. Anyway I have a 6 month old now and have since stepped back from my previous washing and mini detailing arena. Well, I'm looking to start doing some correction work which I never got fully into so...
    I have some foam pads but let's say I didn't.
    Should I buy some microfiber disks instead of foam? I've seen enough praise about them, I guess I'm just curious will they tackle any situation I'm likely to run into regarding paint defects.
    I know there's a tool for every job, but I'm looking at keeping a minimalist approach as far how many different detailing tools I get.

Thanks for the responses.

2. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Depends on what type of cars you will be doing and will you be doing a lot of different ones? MF pads are a must have, but so are wool. At least the one made by 3D. Finish very well, with superior cutting ability over MF pads. What polisher do you use?

3. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

I have the GG 6" da. I will be working on other peoples cars so yeah different vehicles with different paints. I guess I can't say really specifically what cars as of yet because they're not booked yet.

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Is the 3D wool made for DA use or just rotary?

5. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

I didn't know there was difference. No, it works fantastic even on a PCXP, not just rotary. Rupes, Flex 3401 love it.

6. alphauto

alphauto Virgin Detailer

never had very good luck with the durability of MF pads.

They work but I wouldn't say you NEED to go out and buy some to do your own car. Foam pads still work great.

7. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

Maybe people more skilled than I am have different results but I have never been able to get MF pads to finish acceptably on soft paint.

8. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

I just recently got my first set of MF pads and I have to say, it is awesome. I was amazed at the scratches I just got out of a silver Toyota Camry in one pass with FG400 on a GG 6". I would not have gotten the same results with a yellow or orange pad in one pass. I also feel like the MF pads are easier to clean off mid-polishing compared to foam pads, but that may just be me.

9. xseveredveganx

xseveredveganx Virgin Detailer

I don't have a lot of experience polishing, but I recently got some pretty awful hardwater spots on my car. I used the Meguiars cutting pads with M101. Even in hot weather and black paint, they worked really well. A bit of dusting, as you'd expect due to the weather, but they finished down great even with a pretty aggressive compound.

10. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

If your detailing for a living then yes you should have MF pads and for a weekend detailer its really up too you.

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Both are advisable, but you dont have to go wild buying pads either, buy a few of each.

I have 6 green, 3 black, 3 blue, 2 orange and 6 MF cutting disks. which IMO basically replaced the orange pads.

I still use them all. I find myself using the green ones the most actually.

12. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

Thanks for your guys' inputs. I'll place a couple in the shopping cart next time I place an order.

13. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

OP - you want to be ready, so i'd have foam, MF wool in my arsenal to make sure I could do the work efficiently.