iron x vs iron cut

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by cleanfiend, Feb 25, 2012.

1. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

which of these two products do you guys prefer?

I just received my order from detailed image today and I just realized that I purchased a bottle of iron x thinking that I was buying iron cut.
    I also found it interesting that the company's names are very similar:

cquartz (iron x)
    aquartz (iron cut)

2. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

I've only used Iron cut, and honestly I find it to be way too expensive to be worth it. At $17 a bottle, I'm only getting ~5-6 whole vehicle applications out of a bottle.

Personally I want to try wolfs WF-1P Gel.

3. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

Phil should have a load of the new version coming in very shortly!

4. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Does Iron Cut smell like ass too or is that only specific to Iron X?

5. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

damn...i opened the bottle of iron x for the first time just to see what you were talking about and oh boy...that smell competes with what my cat leaves in his litter box. Its like sonax but much stronger

6. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

maybe its just my own personal experience but I found iron x was much more effective than iron cut. I havent used either in a while so its hard to give you the exact reasons i thought this, sorry!

7. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

iron cut smells like ass. but works well.

yup we have a ton of the new wolf's coming in next week.

8. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

i have used both. aquartz iron cut smells horrible and wolf's smells a little better (i would say smells like MINTY FARTS...lol...). the initial smell maybe ok, but if you expose yourself to the smell for long periods, it doesn't smell like minty farts anymore...:yikes:

the iron cut is more liquid and the wolf's is a gel. the iron cut will slide down the vertical panels, whereas the gel will stay put longer.

i like the wolfs product mainly for 3 things:

• it is safe to dry on paint. it says on the label, this means longer working times! you can afford to take your time and massage the product onto the paint surface. with either product, i don't like to spray and let dwell, i like to spray and massage, uses less product.
    • easier to work with since it's thicker. this is self explanatory, the gel will cling to the vertical panels and you don't have to rush to spread the product around.
    • doubles as a wheel/rim cleaner. this is also self explanatory.

you can't let iron cut dry on the surface.

below are pics from a white car i did with wolf's decon gel (notice how the product is dry and "smeared" all over the surface (i rubbed it in, literally :headbang:):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope this post helps you.

9. mpanella

mpanella DB Forum Supporter

Wear a 3M respirator and you won't smell any of it :wicked: