IPA ok on fabric seats?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Suberman, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

Hi guys, is it ok to use IPA wipes on fabric seats to disinfect areas with perspiration? (say if you've just fetched someone sweaty)

If the colour doesn't run, will the IAP do any other damage to the fabric?

Also, how effective is IPA wipes against bacteria from perspiration on fabric seats)

Heres what happened:

I took the car out for a photoshoot, and did not know what to
    expect, chap was sweating, and parts of his arms were sweaty as they rested on the seat for the interior shots. :doh:

I've cleaned all the areas with IPA but want to do whatever I can. The car is seldom driven so I don't want any
    mold growing from the bacteria

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

2. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

I'd suggest a vapor steamer to disinfect the areas. That's your best bet. I've never used IPA on seats before and I'm not sure I would. But it's a good question and I'm curious to see some of the answers.

3. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

I don't have one nor do i have access to a steam cleaner. But i was hoping to find some other solutions to disinfecting the area.

Perhaps i'm a bid paranoid. But the car is kept spotless all the time, so this really eeks me.

What about grapefruit seed extract? I hear it's an excellent natural germicide and fungicide.

Also, i would like to know if IPA is effective in killing perspiration bacteria in fabric seats?And would frequent use of IPA damage the fabric? I've tested it, and the colour doesn't run at all.

4. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

I think you're worrying about nothing ;)

5. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Agreed. If you are really worried about it, cut it down with DI water to 50% or less.

6. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry fellas, i guess i am alittle paranoid. What is 50% DI?:shead:

7. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

DI = Distilled water

8. Suberman

Suberman Virgin Detailer

You mean to mix IPA with 50% DI water? What i've done is wiped with IPA wipes which contains 70% IPa.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, 70% IPA is the minimum for it be effective as a germicide?

9. Russ@Xclusive

Russ@Xclusive Two Bucket System Washer

Zep High Traffic Carpet cleaner is basically Isopropyl Alcohol, now isn't that IPA?

10. richy

richy Guest