Into the Cloud!

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by kyoshiro, Nov 13, 2011.

1. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

So I have just signed up for Cloud Hosting services (which in general is more expensive than a low end servers but cheaper than enterprise servers). Ditching my current Xeon box for something cheaper yet future proof to continue offering hosting services =p Just a bit of extra initial investment for transferring everyone over then I should save 50 bucks a month at first LOL. Oh and trust me the sales didnt want me to swap lol.

Anyhow! Why don't I take some time to explain what the cloud really is. Cloud in reality is a cluster of servers which acts as one entity. These Cloud servers are like slices of the server virtualized as if they were physical. There is something similar which was Virtual Private Server (VPS) before Cloud became the thing but VPSes can only run on one server at a time so in reality you may have 10 virtual servers on 1 server. Why is this a problem? Your 1 server's resources is split into 10 and the race condition starts when all 10 virtual servers starts processing things. Not every server can get a fair slice of the pie which is one of the main reason why VPSes can be so cheap as they can never guarantee you're getting your fair share. Cloud eliminates it by setting up your virtual server among a whole cluster of servers and whenever hardware fails, your server gets "moved" to another section of hardware. The server kind of "floats" in the cluster to wherever there is free resources. They can guarantee your fair share of processing power and such because of the way the architecture works. You can get billed by the hour in the cloud even!
    If you're wondering about services like the iCloud and such, cuz its a "cloud", that Cloud concept is more of centralizing your data at one place and i cant guarantee its running a cloud server. So the distinction I would say is that this is Cloud Storage and Cloud servers are Cloud Computing.

2. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

What do you host in HK? a game server?
    how is life in hk btw?

3. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

He hosts websites detailing mostly with a few freelance thrown
    In, a lot of high end detailers get their websites designed by him. He is also a programming genious so he can make interactive websites but hasn't done one. We were thinking of doing a cs servEr test run but it's hard for people to come on at the same time

If anyone needs website consultatiOn he is the one to go to

4. kyoshiro

Its actually hosted in Florida and its really only a webhosting server lol
    life here is sometimes real busy and sometimes normal. Quite tiring nonetheless.

lol im sadly not a programming genius, just a swiss army knife. I'm the only one at work who has to ask like 5 people before I can get my leave approved cuz i get assigned to many projects.

5. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Aldric, sent a PM. Good to see life is treating you well

6. kyoshiro

I am migrating the server over to the cloud now! so excited and worried LOL

7. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

What detailers websites have you done?

8. kyoshiro

not many actually lol
    my real job requires a lot more time than expected and can't handle freelance business which kinda sucks cuz the freelance income has already dried up and my real job pays for the server now LOL (actually has been for the past few months) but nonetheless I am happy to continue to aid in IT things as it is my profession and running a server is a learning process.
    Nonetheless, migration to the cloud has mostly been successful but there are permission problems everywhere but I am resolving them as I know em (well some may be up to the owner of the site) but yeah its quite cool how this cloud works lol