Interior glass fog CURE?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by artemis53, Mar 14, 2012.

1. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

My truck just blasts all my interior glass with fog no matter what, within a few days after thoroughly cleaning all my glass, it is covered in fog again. I am guessing it is because my truck is BRAND NEW, just over 5,000 miles.

I was wondering, is there a way to PREVENT interior fog from happening? I just ordered some Wolfs GG from Phil, could I apply that on interior glass maybe? Or what about Fog Fight? Does this work well? It says it prevents fog...

Or am I best just keeping some glass cleaner and glass towels at hand in my truck? It does concern me however, because I am just starting to do other peoples cars for money, and I don't want their fresh, clean glass to fog up on them days after I detail their car...

2. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I have Rain-X anti fog for the interior of windows. Seems to do the trick for a decent price.

3. ramprun

ramprun Any Rag Vehicle Washer

the absolute worst thing you can do is applying wolf glass product on the interior glass. for fog, you want hydrophilic coating so the moisture doesn't form beads of water. if you notice your car exterior surface that has been freshly waxed on a humid day, you can see tiny beads of water that make it looks cloudy.

4. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Do ypu have a water leak somewhere in the truck? Does it feel or smell like moisture in there ? No vehicle should be fogging up like that all the time unless its damp(like because of a water leak) or not venting in there.

Have you tried running the A/C and the heat at the same time? The A/C will remove moisture faster than anything even before the heater starts working..

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

5. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

I too have Rain-X Anti Fog, and it didnt do crap for me but make my glass WORSE, and just made the entire car smell TERRIBLE!!! Although I very EASILY could be applying it wrong, I guess.

And I guess my problem is more the crud on my glass, like off-gassing, just a coating, even when there is no fog, I can swipe my finger across the glass and there is clearly a film present, that is what I am trying to prevent.

6. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I understand now what you mean about something out gassing and not a water/moisture problem - still there should not be so much of it that its a fog anyway.. What year make model truck ? You are still under a major warranty right ? When you took it to the Service Manager, not one of the Service Advisors and told him/her, what was the response ?

Dan F

7. James_1982

James_1982 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

That sounds like you might have some type of oil or coolant leak, but most likely coolant if the vehicle is newer. Coolant is one of those fluids that even a small drip can cause a film on the windshield when it gets vaporized. It does not matter if the car is new or not as I have seen many 1 or 2 year old vehicles with small drips because of previous warranty work that opened up the cooling system.

8. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Did you use an interior dressing on the dashboard? Some interior dressings will cause the windshield to fog, not matter how much you clean the windows with any products. If you did use an interior dressing on the dashboard I suggest removing it with APC and then see if the windows still fog up.

9. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

sounds to me like there is a coating of some sort of material in your new car like vinyl or rubber or lanoleum type material, etc that is releasing some organic gasses which is causing the film. Also, if you have leather, the new leather will release quite a bit of polycyclic hydrocarbons, actually the chemical responsible for creating the "new car smell"...this will definitely fog and leave a "sticky" type film on the windows. This happened on my dad's mini when he first got it. Very common with today's newer / IMO cheaper interior materials to outgas some sticky stuff.