Interior cleaning process

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by yukonon22, May 1, 2008.

1. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

i don't detail as a business but more as a hobby. right now i just vaccum/wash carpets, clean windows, wipe inside with armor all cleaning wipes and finish with zaino leather.

I am not switching to using a steam cleaner, and a all purpose cleaner possibly the cg green apc. then finish with sonus interior detailer or einzitt As of leather i like zaino but i hear good of leather masters and sonus. Also also notice people use that Einzitt (no idea how to spell it). What do you guys recommend as my cleaing routine for my inside. I like a nice matte finsih.

2. yukonon22

correction above: i meant i have switched to using a steam cleaner

3. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

Blow all the dust out of vents, cup holders, etc with compressed air. Wipe top to bottom with diluted APC. Vacuum, spot clean, foam carpet cleaner, agitate, damp MF, vacuum. If seats are leather: steam, wipe down, and apply conditioner while still damp from steam and let sit till you finish. Apply dressing of choice: Meg's QID and Optimum's Protectant Plus both have a matte finish with UV protection. Clean windows. Final walk around inspection....

Is that what you wanted (order of processes) or did you want to know how to do each step?

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Always select a chemical / cleaner that are biodegradable, environmentally friendly and safe to use by observing any precautions recommended so that they won’t harm you, your vehicle or the environment

When cleaning a stain, try detergent and water first. If this does not remove the stain, then try a stronger type cleaner (303'M Cleaner & Spot Remover) once fabric is clean apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard) You should always test the cleaning product on an inconspicuous area first to make sure you won’t be incurring further damage.

When the inevitable happens, remove as much of the stain as possible by blotting, not rubbing with paper towels, etc). Try not to let the stain `set' for too long before you remove it. Within a day or two, most spills will set and permanently stain your upholstery or become very difficult to remove. Even without fabric protection, you would be amazed at how easy it is to clean up most stains with nothing more than a neutral detergent (Woolite or Dreft) and water. A neutral (or balanced) detergent will not bleach fabric or remove fabric protection.

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil thereby minimizing dwell time.

To remove stains the surface tension that bonds them must be released, then the stain encapsulated and held in suspension to be removed. I’m repeatedly asked which product is the best interior cleaner. There is no one-product answer; as the so-called all purpose cleaners (APC) do not remove every stain, different stains require different solvents to remove them.

When cleaning a stain, try detergent and water first. If this does not remove the stain, then try a stronger type cleaner, also test the spotter in an inconspicuous area) once fabric is clean apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)

Between these cleaners you should be able to remove 99% of stains occurring in a vehicle and around the home – Start with a 10:1 solution and decrease dilution as necessary;

Fabric upholstery - 303™ Aerospace Cleaner, an industrial strength concentrate.
    303™ Rug / Upholstery Cleaner & Spot Remover
    Protein Stain Remover HT-67 (Milk, Cream, etc) - http//:Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies

All purpose cleaner - P21S Total Auto Wash (its active ingredient is d-limonene (citrus) a safe all purpose cleaner (APC)

Carpet / Mats - Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam
    Hoover Deep Cleansing Carpet/Upholstery Detergent
    Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover

Vinyl / PVC – a solution of Woolite and distilled water or a citrus-based cleaner and water to remove stains use 1z einszett Cockpit Premium as a matte, anti-static as a finish dressing.

Plastic - Plexus, BTI™ Chemicals Plastic Polish & Cleaner

Leather – Leather Master’s Leather Cleaner (and then use LM’s Leather Protection)

Washable surfaces - Distilled water / Woolite 10:1 or 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover ™ or to remove heavy stains safely, without harsh chemicals 303's Aerospace Cleaner, an industrial strength concentrate

Glass surfaces - Stoner's Invisible Glass and a (Norwex) glass cleaning cloth with a super tight knit
    Wood surfaces – Klasse or Zaino All-In-One (AIO)

Ultra violet protection - for all interior / exterior surfaces- 303™ Aerospace Protectant

Classifying stains-
    a) Organic stains- these include proteins and fats, body oils, mould yeast, bacteria, bugs and carbohydrates. Most of the stains found in the vehicle interior are of an organic nature and require an alkaline type cleaner. Some organic stains (i.e. blood, vomit, urine) should be removed with an enzyme type cleaner and a disinfectant applied to the area

b) Non-Organic stains- mostly found on the exterior of the vehicle, hard water scale (calcium) lime deposits, Road tar, grease and oil film, and require an acidic type cleaner.

c) Petroleum soils - substances that do not contain water, nor are they miscible, these soil types include, motor oils, and crease and road tar, and require a solvent type cleaner.

Stain Types-
    a) Water Soluble Stains- These stains can be dissolved in cool water or loosened with water based cleaner, coffee; soft drinks, cocoa and chocolate are good examples.

b) Oil soluble stains- These are stains that are comprised of oily or greasy substances, which include cooking, oil from fried foods and suntan oil.

c) Combination Stains- These stains contain both water based and oil-soluble properties. Cleaning these stains require treatment with a petroleum solvent followed by water based cleaning solution.

d) Unidentifiable Stains- Sometimes stains cannot be identified. Treat these stains like a combination stain. Clean with a petroleum solvent followed by water based cleaner.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved ​

5. Cooter

Cooter Guest

www.togwtopedia.com hehehe

You have the coolest most detailed (pun) posts. Really well thought out. Clear and direct to the point. Very informative. Thanks!!!

6. yukonon22

great write up thank you

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Thank you for the kind words, feedback is appreciated :)

Cooter- appreciate the pun, I've posted a couple of articles on DetailWiki